In English, many things are named after a particular country – but have you ever wondered what those things are called in those countries?
1protozoo masculineprotozoario masculine
- I devoured photographs showing the ghostly glow of bacteria on decaying fish: the shimmering phosphorescence of protozoans in tropical seas.
- Each year, 300 to 500 million people contract this mosquito-borne protozoan disease, and about one million die.
- It is caused by the single-celled protozoan parasite, Trichomonas vaginalis.
- Schindler says more of a problem are the protozoans that originate from livestock.
- They have been considered animals, protozoans, fungi or space aliens.
English has borrowed many of the following foreign expressions of parting, so you’ve probably encountered some of these ways to say goodbye in other languages.
Many words formed by the addition of the suffix –ster are now obsolete - which ones are due a resurgence?
As their breed names often attest, dogs are a truly international bunch. Let’s take a look at 12 different dog breed names and their backstories.