In English, many things are named after a particular country – but have you ever wondered what those things are called in those countries?
1refrán masculineproverbio masculineas the proverb goes — como dice el proverbio / refrán
- To quote a Kannada proverb it is like water off a buffalo's back.
- Riddles and proverbs can influence each other and sometimes a piece of advice in proverb form can be turned into a riddle, or vice versa.
- The sayings are in the form of proverbs, parables, aphorisms, and exhortations.
- It's tough to choose a single epitaph for a man who invoked so many epigrams and proverbs.
- There is literal truth in the proverb that habit is second nature.
- When I was younger I had had a Polish violin teacher, and she had told me a Yiddish proverb that proved to be the truth.
- They still exchange mnemonic sayings, adages and proverbs.
- I hate wise proverbs, as a rule, but the one about ‘all work and no play’ certainly springs to mind.
- He is well known for weaving proverbs and traditional storytelling into the western form of the novel.
- Songs, stories, proverbs, and sayings have been passed down over thousands of years.
- His sayings and proverbs, which embodied his philosophy of life, were handed down from generation to generation.
- Adinkra symbols usually represent popular proverbs, adages or traditional concepts in Ghanaian culture.
- Beware of proverbs: they are a snare and a delusion.
- Sheikh Mo, who fancies himself a prophet of modernisation, likes to impress visitors with clever proverbs and heavy aphorisms.
- Riddles, proverbs, and sayings that describe proper behavior for both young and old Kenyans are still common.
- He gives his advice with old Iraqi proverbs and quotes from the Koran.
- Norwegians tend to integrate sayings and proverbs into daily conversations.
- The shrewdness and sharpness of his proverbs and his forceful epigrams serve, in an exceptional degree, to make ethical ideas a popular possession.
- It is better to light one candle than curse the darkness, as a rough translation of a Chinese proverb goes.
- The epic by Waris is interspersed with proverbs, sayings, folktales, history and poetry par excellence.
English has borrowed many of the following foreign expressions of parting, so you’ve probably encountered some of these ways to say goodbye in other languages.
Many words formed by the addition of the suffix –ster are now obsolete - which ones are due a resurgence?
As their breed names often attest, dogs are a truly international bunch. Let’s take a look at 12 different dog breed names and their backstories.