In English, many things are named after a particular country – but have you ever wondered what those things are called in those countries?
- James was portrayed as a victim of the affair, and attempts were made to turn the scandal to his advantage by presenting images of the plot's providential discovery and James's personal involvement as the avenger of Overbury's murder.
- In such a situation, the possibility of going away on an international residency presents itself as a very real relief, a providential oasis or retreat to an artist.
- A high-voltage wire snapped and fell on the busy road on Monday afternoon, and pedestrians and motorists had a providential escape.
- Buena Vista Social Club's nomination last year was welcomed as a sign of providential change in the academy.
- It was providential that he purchased this exceptional pen and he took the trouble to research its history.
English has borrowed many of the following foreign expressions of parting, so you’ve probably encountered some of these ways to say goodbye in other languages.
Many words formed by the addition of the suffix –ster are now obsolete - which ones are due a resurgence?
As their breed names often attest, dogs are a truly international bunch. Let’s take a look at 12 different dog breed names and their backstories.