In English, many things are named after a particular country – but have you ever wondered what those things are called in those countries?
- It is entirely possible that conservative policies will lead to more cultural regionalism and provincialism.
- To her they figure as an escape from the provincialism of Bursley, but they are also a form of exile to which she consigns herself for having allowed her invalid father to die on her watch.
- Scout Finch was so caught up in small town provincialism that she regarded a Cunningham as socially inferior.
- I think there is a real need to get away from all this regional provincialism - especially in a country where literature itself is so much at risk.
- In a disastrous miscalculation, the producers carefully put back all the lame, dated gags and Manhattan provincialisms that dotted the original production.
- Although the Kentucky native is now a devoted Texan, Mills shuns provincialism in his work.
English has borrowed many of the following foreign expressions of parting, so you’ve probably encountered some of these ways to say goodbye in other languages.
Many words formed by the addition of the suffix –ster are now obsolete - which ones are due a resurgence?
As their breed names often attest, dogs are a truly international bunch. Let’s take a look at 12 different dog breed names and their backstories.