In English, many things are named after a particular country – but have you ever wondered what those things are called in those countries?
1provisionalmenteprovisoriamente South Americade manera provisionalde manera provisoria South America
- The licence was provisionally granted on the condition that fire precautions were met and added washbasins installed.
- George Drever, of Kirkwall, was provisionally granted an entertainment licence for the proposed ten-pin bowling centre.
- We have provisionally arranged to go for a drink.
- At the time of going to press the game has been provisionally fixed for Sunday evening next in Sarsfields at 6 pm.
- And the date of August 30 has been provisionally marked for that event, pending approval.
English has borrowed many of the following foreign expressions of parting, so you’ve probably encountered some of these ways to say goodbye in other languages.
Many words formed by the addition of the suffix –ster are now obsolete - which ones are due a resurgence?
As their breed names often attest, dogs are a truly international bunch. Let’s take a look at 12 different dog breed names and their backstories.