In English, many things are named after a particular country – but have you ever wondered what those things are called in those countries?
1jefe de la policía militar masculine
- Marlborough's army had a senior officer who acted as provost marshal general; his responsibilities including controlling foraging parties.
- The rioters then marched to the provost marshal's office where the draft lottery was taking place and set fire to the building.
- For much of the Civil War, Lieutenant Colonel Frederick C. Newhall served as provost marshal and staff officer for Union cavalry commander Lieutenant General Philip Sheridan.
- As already mentioned, the provost marshal was the military policeman, issuing passes to civilians and military personnel and detaining prisoners.
- During the 18th century, once again, the rank and prestige of the provost marshal declined, with NCOs often being appointed on an ad hoc basis.
English has borrowed many of the following foreign expressions of parting, so you’ve probably encountered some of these ways to say goodbye in other languages.
Many words formed by the addition of the suffix –ster are now obsolete - which ones are due a resurgence?
As their breed names often attest, dogs are a truly international bunch. Let’s take a look at 12 different dog breed names and their backstories.