In English, many things are named after a particular country – but have you ever wondered what those things are called in those countries?
- Shaun's censorious attitude combines freely with a prurient interest in sexual matters.
- The best a guy with prurient interests gets to see is one glimpse of Reneé Humphrey, and a few fairly hot scenes of women kissing.
- ‘Nobody is going to speak freely if they're going to be quoted by ambitious and prurient journalists’.
- Obscene material is material which deals with sex in a manner appealing to prurient interest.
- Pious people, along with neglectful officials and prurient newspapers, need not worry about the thin dividing line between the demon and the normal citizen.
- The trouble is, we are a prurient lot, always interested in the sex lives of other people, especially the famous.
- These type of programmes are cheap (from a production standpoint) puerile, prurient and sadly popular.
- The film, however, while presenting itself as a compassionate treatment, exploits for dramatic purposes the prurient interests of the audience.
- But just for a moment, prurient eyes were diverted from Sven-Goran Eriksson and Ulrika Jonsson to an altogether more gloomy European affair.
- In the West, Miike frequently gets pegged as a shock artist, a filmmaker who merits our prurient interest more than our legitimate respect.
- People have an in-built prurient curiosity and voyeurism so why should we blame the programme makers for that?
- But beneath the prurient detail lies a stinging indictment of greater Canadian society, police and the mainstream media.
- Operating on a far more prurient level is Paul Schrader's latest, Auto Focus, the lurid tale of Hogan's Heroes star Bob Crane.
- Indeed, the only possible response to prurient questions is ‘mind your own business’.
- Media shift the responsibility for sensationalized coverage to a prurient citizenry's market demands for more blood, gore and opulence.
- And it has enough about actual sex to satisfy your prurient side as well.
- If prurient peering into other people's private lives is now an offence, the Home Office should be the first in the dock, with this Act offered as evidence for the prosecution.
- There is something about regulating pornography that causes even the most prurient libertarian to become apoplectic.
- There is a great deal of prurient curiosity surrounding our partnership.
- In some ways, this biography should be applauded for its total absence of the prurient interest so common to most of its peers.
English has borrowed many of the following foreign expressions of parting, so you’ve probably encountered some of these ways to say goodbye in other languages.
Many words formed by the addition of the suffix –ster are now obsolete - which ones are due a resurgence?
As their breed names often attest, dogs are a truly international bunch. Let’s take a look at 12 different dog breed names and their backstories.