In English, many things are named after a particular country – but have you ever wondered what those things are called in those countries?
- This was a true revolution in the sense that the Ptolemaic idea of the solar system and its motions was overthrown and ultimately replaced by the heliocentric Copernican picture.
- Her vernacular Dutch writings reflect familiarity with Latin, rhetoric, numerology, Ptolemaic astronomy and music theory.
- Whatever the differences of detail, the Ptolemaic astronomers all agreed that God and Heaven were located beyond the visible universe, and even the Copernican Digges put them in the outermost region.
- It is plausible to think that Copernicus' introduction of the heliocentric hypothesis had this effect on the previously unchallenged Ptolemaic earth-centered astronomy.
- The world was breathing in the Ptolemaic concepts of astronomy for centuries until these were proven wrong by later astronomers and scientists.
English has borrowed many of the following foreign expressions of parting, so you’ve probably encountered some of these ways to say goodbye in other languages.
Many words formed by the addition of the suffix –ster are now obsolete - which ones are due a resurgence?
As their breed names often attest, dogs are a truly international bunch. Let’s take a look at 12 different dog breed names and their backstories.