In English, many things are named after a particular country – but have you ever wondered what those things are called in those countries?
1bar masculinebefore noun to go on a pub crawl — ir de bar en bar tomando copas
- pub food / grub — comida de pub
- You'd be better off going to your local pub landlord and starting you own comedy club.
- Investigators believe Mr Haywood was assaulted after spending the evening drinking in local pubs and clubs.
- The court heard the pair had been drinking in various pubs during the evening and had been on amicable terms.
- From now on, only on premises with designated places such as pubs with beer gardens will people be allowed to drink outside.
- As I picked it up, I regretted it: he was in a local pub, drunk as usual, wanted to come round.
- He goes to pubs, drinks pints of beer and watches football.
- The couple went for a walk on the beach to take in their win before heading to their local pub for a calming drink.
- No-one has a finger on the pulse of the local community like the pub landlord.
- I mean, you know, it shouldn't alter your life overly, but it might win you a barrel of beer in a pub quiz one night.
- He was drinking in a local pub and spoke to his wife on the phone for an hour.
- Locals at Swindon's Famous Ale House liked the pub so much, they decided to run it themselves.
- Officers stress the new rules would not affect people enjoying a drink outside pubs or bars.
- My decision to take the rest on a tour of all the really good beer and cider pubs in Bristol was… perhaps unwise.
- Woke up slowly and ambled down in the pouring rain to the pub for lunch and beers with various people.
- They go out, drink several pints of beer in the pub and dive into the late night takeaway for a kebab on the way home.
- His wife Jill took him back to hospital after the Christmas break and the pair then went out for a drink to a local pub.
- We had to wait for her to finish her classes, so we went and had a drink in the local pub.
- All restaurants, pubs and bars serving food will be smoke free.
- A few people were standing and arguing outside small pubs holding pints of beer in their hands.
- Enjoy a few drinks at your local pub, and keep a look out for quiz nights and local bands.
English has borrowed many of the following foreign expressions of parting, so you’ve probably encountered some of these ways to say goodbye in other languages.
Many words formed by the addition of the suffix –ster are now obsolete - which ones are due a resurgence?
As their breed names often attest, dogs are a truly international bunch. Let’s take a look at 12 different dog breed names and their backstories.