In English, many things are named after a particular country – but have you ever wondered what those things are called in those countries?
- All pubescent children feel anxious, needy, and confused by their desires and fears.
- It introduced a distinction between pre-pubescent and pubescent children, treating the latter as sexual children, and in so doing laid a foundation for the modern concept of adolescence.
- Couple this with the bimbos playing the game (often wearing next to nothing) and you realise that it's aimed at pubescent teenagers and the readers of lads' mags.
- The age cutoff ensures that teams are divided into two castes, the pubescent and the prepubescent.
- No one wants to hear a bunch of pubescent boys confessing their love repeatedly in about thirteen songs on one album.
- I was a pubescent teenager, I honestly couldn't help myself.
- Footage of barely pubescent girls screeching and swooning at any glimpse of the musicians is both astonishing and frightening in terms of the power four lads from Liverpool were able to wield - apparently effortlessly.
- They show her in control of her image: a blonde by choice and, with her cocksure grin, anticipating the effect she would exert on a nation of pubescent boys - and girls, too.
- How the pubescent boy and wimpy character became a slicing, dicing, seething pot of neuroses and indescribable rage.
- By the 1990s there were bras for every figure and circumstance, from pubescent teenagers to the elderly.
- It's something that, as a pubescent boy, would probably give you a thrill, but as an adult comes across as a novelty or a perverted game feature.
- Guiding a hormonal adolescent through their pubescent years can be a thankless job, and support for mums and dads has been identified as a priority by the Scottish Parenting Forum.
- They were pubescent boys who had reached puberty but had not yet grown beards.
- With my short Mohawk that looks like a crew-cut at first glance or under a hat, my army jacket, baggy work jeans and boots, I could easily be a pubescent boy.
- And, oh, the families: little blond girls in oversized caps, pubescent boys roughhousing in the aisles.
- Jeff is a pubescent boy trapped inside the body of a man, still obsessed about his relationship with his mother.
- So whenever I try to sing I'm back in that no-man's land that is the bane of the pubescent boy, jumping from tenor to bass and back within a single phrase.
- We all see whole families with their babies and pets on the same motorcycle, weaving from lane to lane, laden with packages, and driven by a pubescent teenager who isn't old enough to obtain a licence.
- When I was a mere slip of a girl, myself and a friend, as many early pubescent teenagers do, used the Ouija board a few times.
- While pubescent males could find younger females to be on nearly the same developmental level as themselves, teenage females are not as inclined to regard younger, less developed males as sexual partners.
English has borrowed many of the following foreign expressions of parting, so you’ve probably encountered some of these ways to say goodbye in other languages.
Many words formed by the addition of the suffix –ster are now obsolete - which ones are due a resurgence?
As their breed names often attest, dogs are a truly international bunch. Let’s take a look at 12 different dog breed names and their backstories.