In English, many things are named after a particular country – but have you ever wondered what those things are called in those countries?
- Looking at those puffy eyes and enlarged nostrils I decided not to fight back.
- My arm muscles were cramped up and felt like they were made of lead, my eyes were swelling and my cheeks felt puffy and warm.
- His once slender face, embedded in our hearts and minds from the extensive news coverage, was now puffy and swollen.
- His left foot seemed a bit bigger, puffy and swollen.
- Dan was a bloodied mess, his right eye already swelling shut, his lip puffy, split and bleeding.
- My dark green eyes almost looked as if they were going to swell shut with how puffy and pink they'd become.
- You have to poke them and watch their soft puffy bodies give away and bounce back, hypnotizing you into taking them home and daring you to eat them.
- His eyes were red and swollen, his face puffy, and his nose running badly.
- His right eye is swollen, puffy and seeping something murky.
- My eyes were swollen, red and puffy from crying so hard.
- It's weird, it almost feels puffy and swollen (but it doesn't look like it).
- His blond hair was disheveled and puffy bags bulged from beneath his eyes.
- Her eyes were puffy and swollen, signaling that she had just spent the last ten minutes crying her heart out.
- I noticed that her hands and feet were puffy and swollen.
- In some cases, it is retained in the body leading to a puffy appearance.
- The skin becomes swollen and puffy, and pits on being pressed.
- Her face was red and puffy and her body was shaking.
- It's appropriate if the site is puffy, swells quickly, and looks rosy red.
- Most bodybuilders refer to water in the pejorative, fingering it as the cause for water retention or a puffy and bloated appearance.
- Jenny's eyes were red and swollen and her cheeks were puffy.
English has borrowed many of the following foreign expressions of parting, so you’ve probably encountered some of these ways to say goodbye in other languages.
Many words formed by the addition of the suffix –ster are now obsolete - which ones are due a resurgence?
As their breed names often attest, dogs are a truly international bunch. Let’s take a look at 12 different dog breed names and their backstories.