In English, many things are named after a particular country – but have you ever wondered what those things are called in those countries?
- The pug was the Dutch national dog, and soon it became a national sensation in England.
- Maybe my experience with bringing other dogs into the house with our first pug will help you.
- While the children were delighted by the presence of the smaller breeds like pugs and miniature pinscher, the body language of the grown-ups revealed a liking towards bigger breeds like great Danes and German shepherds.
- From the smallest pug breed to the tallest Great Dane weighing over 20 kg, there were about 35 breeds.
- We kept a pug and a little Pomeranian and a Maltese, and gave my parents a little poodle.
- Raven had long, greasy mouse-brown hair and a nose like a pug.
- Crossing a pug with a Pekingese, for example, could produce disastrous consequences.
- How did wolves transform into today's greyhounds, pugs, and Yorkies?
- We should cherish these glimpses of her as it won't be long before she goes to ground again, squirrelling away in her Manhattan apartment or the Virginia bolt-hole she shares with two pugs and a Boston terrier.
- The woman goes inside and comes back with a pug dog wheezing on the end of a red leash.
- This couple was waiting to board the plane with their dog, a pug, who they had slung on the woman's chest in a baby carrier.
- Elsewhere in the house a rather ugly pug dog, a Masonic symbol, is painted on a ceiling.
- Now Charles has a potential doppelgänger on this side of the Atlantic: a cute, mischievous little pug dog named Pugly.
- Surely a pug is no match for the loyalty of a spaniel?
- As much as they enjoy walking Jack Russells and pugs through a neighbourhood with a taste of history, they also realize that this flavour is a commodity which inflates the value of their condos.
- The girls see an ugly little dog, you know the ugly little pug dog, right?
- With such strong words, it's no wonder that the mascot on the group's website is a mischievous little pug dog who's ready to lay down the law.
- Others claim the bulldog resulted from the crosses between mastiffs and Dutch pug dogs.
- As secretary of the Pugalug Club, a group almost 500 strong throughout Ontario devoted to the health and well being of the pug dog breed, I can't help but feel a need to respond to your article, ‘Good, bad and Pugly’.
- The pug's miniaturized ‘bulldog’ lineaments rendered it not just fashionable in the late eighteenth century but - at a period of war with France - patriotic.
English has borrowed many of the following foreign expressions of parting, so you’ve probably encountered some of these ways to say goodbye in other languages.
Many words formed by the addition of the suffix –ster are now obsolete - which ones are due a resurgence?
As their breed names often attest, dogs are a truly international bunch. Let’s take a look at 12 different dog breed names and their backstories.