In English, many things are named after a particular country – but have you ever wondered what those things are called in those countries?
- He concluded by calling on the movers of a motion calling for the early pull-out of British troops to withdraw their motion in the interests of party unity.
- That pull-out also went ahead despite the attack.
- On Thursday, he had warned that a rushed pull-out would be a catastrophe.
- Coming after other business pull-outs this effectively raises the white flag from the dense-server sector.
- The end of the Cold War triggered a French pull-out from their barracks in Hiburg, then part of West Germany, freeing up land for urban planning.
- In the end, the opposition motion was composited from those submitted by 13 CLPs and did not even call for an immediate withdrawal of British troops, urging only an ‘early pull-out.’
- ‘The Foreign Affairs Ministry is co-ordinating the pull-out of the humanitarian contingent with the Ministry of National Defence,’ the statement said.
- The pull-out came just hours before the shares were due to start conditional trading.
- That vote comes one day after a highly respected Democratic congressman called for a pull-out over the next six months and three days after the Senate called for regular reports on the progress and conduct of this war.
2Journalismsuplemento masculineseparata femininebefore noun pullout supplement — suplemento masculine
- And finally, there's a pull-out about the Rolling Stones.
- This week school leavers are poring over those pull-outs in the newspapers giving the official lists of vacancies at British universities for everything from accommodation management to youth studies (I'm not making it up).
- Inside there is a special Olympics pull-out, and on page seven is a column entitled ‘Pitfalls’, listing damaging factors London now has to avoid.
- An upmarket pull-out of a national news magazine listed all the adrenalin pumping excitement you can buy in life.
- In the middle of the zine is a fantastic pull-out called ‘Fighting Back’: a hand-drawn leaflet on self-defence for women and girls, which Isy has given up copyright for - photocopiers at the ready!
- Sani, who has sold men's suits for decades from traveling showrooms set up in hotels around the country, spends millions advertising them in eight-page pull-outs in The Wall Street Journal, Barron's, and The New York Times.
- A perusal of the best of the latest batch, published in a special colour pull-out on November 7, is interesting.
- The next day's papers will carry the budget as front page news, and most will have exclusive pull-outs.
- As a pull-out in the magazine suggests, ‘Do you feel lucky?’
- A few teachers were catching up on things, but some appeared to have caught up, and were catching up on computer games and newspaper bargain shopping pull-outs instead (and this included the headmaster).
- On Wednesday - more pictures and tributes again - the Standard ran a 16-page pull-out, ‘Remember the Victims’, to chime with Europe's two minutes of silence.
- Do not miss this week's Surrey Comet for a free 28-page pull-out celebrating 150 years of the paper's history.
- The Province will run full colour parliamentary pull-outs with puns in the headlines, while gruff white dudes talk about global politics in hyper-masculine voices.
- Better photographs (if not as flattering) appear in the sports pull-outs every day now.
- This morning, I was reading the Green Guide - a handy pull-out from The Age which discusses TV, movies and technology, as well as providing a listing of the offerings of the free-to-air channels for the next week.
- Our 16-page Kingdom Life pull-out will bring you all the local news from your own parish right to your doorstep with our on-the-spot team of local correspondents reporting on all the issues of importance from every area in the county.
- The Training Notebook Collector's Edition, a three-ring binder specifically designed to store M & F pull-outs (like this one), comes with 82 exercises.
English has borrowed many of the following foreign expressions of parting, so you’ve probably encountered some of these ways to say goodbye in other languages.
Many words formed by the addition of the suffix –ster are now obsolete - which ones are due a resurgence?
As their breed names often attest, dogs are a truly international bunch. Let’s take a look at 12 different dog breed names and their backstories.