In English, many things are named after a particular country – but have you ever wondered what those things are called in those countries?
1.1(marionette)marioneta femininetítere masculinebefore noun puppet show — espectáculo de marionetas / de títeres masculine
- The string puppets of Tamil Nadu are the largest and the heaviest when compared to the string puppets of the other State.
- Little Stevie plays with his strings and paper puppets he made himself.
- There is effective use of puppets and perspective with the library stairs, and some clever lighting effects and physical comedy.
- From shadow puppets to puppets on a string, the emphasis this year is on visual theatre.
- The puppeteer sits in back of a white screen and moves the puppets to act out stories.
- We believe in the puppet as a completely separate entity from the puppeteer.
- Youngsters can read and listen to stories with their parents and then act them out using puppets and soft toys.
- Names are written on masking tape which is placed inside the puppets for easy identification.
- Well-crafted in every aspect, the tale of Pinocchio is told using puppets and live actors, in mask or out.
- If you have puppets or stuffed animals, make a little play and use very, very silly voices.
- The film doesn't attempt to pretend that these aren't puppets, their strings are integral to who they are and are a key part of the story.
- Bunraku puppets are not manipulated by strings from above a small stage window.
- Stick a washed lolly stick to the back of the card and use it to move the puppet around.
- The critics at Bombay Dreams all mentioned the fountain scene, for The Lion King it was the amazing effects and animal puppets.
- The result is that one puppeteer can control multiple puppets in multiple mediums.
- In fact, puppets and strings play no part in the show, which instead uses lights to help project the duo's efforts on to a large screen.
- In Admiralty Square three puppets in a puppet theatre come to life: Petrushka, the Ballerina, and the Moor.
- His innovative use of string puppets and model special effects made the series a huge hit.
- In some cases, large animal puppets are completely made of celluloid because of its greater stiffness.
- He stuck five of them inside the puppet's head to operate it by hand.
1.2(for hand)títere masculine
2(stooge)títere masculine(before noun) títere
- He refused to sell his soul to the powers, he refused to be used as a puppet by those who control boxing.
- Why did fate like to toy with their puppet strings so often, taking joy to their misery?
- In this role, they often seemed like puppets on the strings of price.
- They yanked on her chains forcing her to bend and twist at their will like a puppet on strings.
- He also wrote an autobiographical novel in the cruel and sentimental manner: characters as puppets on a string.
- Again, the elastic smile. She felt like a puppet whose mouth strings were being pulled.
- He was like a puppet without strings now, just sitting there, staring out the window.
- She was remembering how he had played her like a rag puppet being controlled by strings.
- Stars exploded in his vision and he collapsed like a puppet with the strings cut.
- He could see the malevolent grin upon her lips as she snarled up at the man that was a puppet upon her strings.
- In the end, we all have to ask, are we simply puppets whose strings are being pulled by unseen forces?
- What people don't realise is that she is not just a puppet on a string.
- Nicholas is just a pawn, a puppet for Wilson and that is just a temporary situation until Wilson is ready to strike.
- One by one, each of the guards fell to their knees and then down on their faces like puppets with their strings cut.
- It is about leading one's own life. It is about not being the puppet or the slave of the choices and desires of others.
- Heads would bob and shoulders would shake like puppets on strings under Goldfrapp's control.
- They pose like Barbie dolls (sometimes literally) or puppets with strings broken.
English has borrowed many of the following foreign expressions of parting, so you’ve probably encountered some of these ways to say goodbye in other languages.
Many words formed by the addition of the suffix –ster are now obsolete - which ones are due a resurgence?
As their breed names often attest, dogs are a truly international bunch. Let’s take a look at 12 different dog breed names and their backstories.