In English, many things are named after a particular country – but have you ever wondered what those things are called in those countries?
1moradovioletapúrpurahe turned purple with rage — se puso lívido de ira
- The moors are a huge open, treeless upland area covered in heather whose purple flowers can be seen from space when they bloom in late August.
- We pass through pretty forests of birch and pine trees, moss covered rocks and a haze of blue and purple flowers.
- The first thing I noticed in the area around me were tiny, white, yellow and purple flowers.
- She went back, and found another skirt, with a blue and purple flower imprint.
- I am wearing dark green and white with a purple scarf - suffragette colours.
- It opens with a borsch soup, a smooth and tangy beet broth served with a side of sour cream that melts into the bowl, marbling the intense purple colour.
- He also came across the purple flower, right, named Bougainvillea, that thrives in the hot climate.
- I called one our maids, Andrea, to go and put the blue and purple flowers in the drawing room.
- Apart from the low ratio of glass to metal and the extremely tight overhang, the purple colour of the car was also added to make it more appealing to the youth.
- The variety ‘William III’ has double, rich purple flowers and chocolate hips and rarely tops 1m tall.
- This is a wonderful plant, very strong growing and with lovely dark purple flowers in July and August.
- Greens and reds are typically caused by oxygen, while purple and blue colours are caused by nitrogen.
- Yellow, white and purple flowers ringed a stage in front of a jagged mountain of dark wreckage.
- It makes the most delicious jam because of the richness of the purple colour and fruity taste.
- Bring the pan of water back to the boil and cook the linguini for three minutes - it will take on the purple colour.
- The broccoli now has a tiny purple flower head, so hopefully that will grow nicely and I can have some home grown!
- Here is an abundance of wild flowers: the orchids are especially prevalent, and produce small pink / purple carpets of colour.
- The purple flowers have a golden centre and their silky-hairy texture adds an extra dimension to their appeal.
- They objected to the purple colour scheme, the spiky typeface and the use of stars, and asked for a prominent disclaimer making it clear the book was not officially endorsed.
- It was draped in black and topped with red, white and purple flowers.
1masculine moradofeminine violetamasculine púrpurato be raised to the purple — ser elevado al purpurado
English has borrowed many of the following foreign expressions of parting, so you’ve probably encountered some of these ways to say goodbye in other languages.
Many words formed by the addition of the suffix –ster are now obsolete - which ones are due a resurgence?
As their breed names often attest, dogs are a truly international bunch. Let’s take a look at 12 different dog breed names and their backstories.