In English, many things are named after a particular country – but have you ever wondered what those things are called in those countries?
1ronronearher Bentley purred up the drive — su Bentley entró con apenas un susurro del motor
- The '69 midnight blue mustang purred to life and she roared down the street.
- The car zoomed up behind Jack's BMW, its engine purring and the bright sun reflecting off its red chassis.
- People rarely walked up this way to Tamberly Road and the large houses looming at the end of it, preferring to purr their way up in sleek black cars.
- The high priced vehicles that purred their way down the streets, the pollution free electrical engines carrying the people of this level around, were far more expensive than anyone on a lower level could afford.
- The Salmond machine purred into town and blew away the cobwebs.
- If you drove a formula one racing car to work and you stopped at the garage to put in high-octane fuel, your car would purr with delight and function to the best of its capabilities.
- Gwen pulled to a stop in front of the Browning mansion, the Benz's engine purring softly under the shiny silver hood.
- Still, it won't the the only thing on that peninsula that's becoming a rich person's plaything, judging by the flash cars purring in and out of the yuppie village.
- They buy a secondhand sub that sounds fine as it purrs its way out of Faslane, but a day out of port, the vessel is swept by a serious fire. The Canadians are far too polite to say as much, but they feel as though they've been had.
- As more than sixty of the elegant vehicles pompously purred their way through the city.
- My convertible purred to a near halt, maintaining a turtle speed as I skimmed the sidewalks on the way to school.
- He started the car, and drove off, into the horizon, his car engine purring like a happy kitten.
- The car softly purred to a stop outside her house, and a man, sleekly and darkly dressed, got out and confidently walked straight into the house!
- In the not-so-distant future, we could be seeing their delivery trucks purring along on cocodiesel.
- Sighs of relief all round as the car sailed along, engine purring and gears enjoying a well-deserved rest.
- They were not disappointed as the 25 vintage cars purred into town, making a grand tour of the area after the parade for the occasion.
- As the blue Mercedes purred down I - 91 towards Lone Woman Mountain, I put my past behind me where it belonged.
- As the sky made its final graduations to ink black, a single car purred softly up the road, but no one inside the houses were out to notice.
- The roads are clear, and the Lexus purrs into life as we speed through the winter mist to stake-out the suspect.
1susurrardecir en un arrullo
English has borrowed many of the following foreign expressions of parting, so you’ve probably encountered some of these ways to say goodbye in other languages.
Many words formed by the addition of the suffix –ster are now obsolete - which ones are due a resurgence?
As their breed names often attest, dogs are a truly international bunch. Let’s take a look at 12 different dog breed names and their backstories.