- In such outbreaks, pneumococcal infections have included sepsis, meningitis, purulent conjunctivitis, recurrent otitis media and sinusitis.
- In patients with an obvious focus of infections (eg, purulent nasal discharge, abdominal tenderness, profuse green diarrhea), a focused diagnostic workup is required.
- The bacterium - which, when symptomatic, causes purulent discharge, dysuria, and urethritis - can also cause ascending infections leading to pelvic inflammatory disease and infertility.
- These complications include pleural infection or empyema, meningitis, purulent pericarditis, or endocarditis.
- There was swelling, tenderness, erythema, and slight purulent discharge from the lesion.