In English, many things are named after a particular country – but have you ever wondered what those things are called in those countries?
- Among the various bits and pieces we see in this corner are plaster casts of the heads and tiny wings of two putti or cupids.
- Between two relief sculptures of putti sit a Raphael drawing and a Netherlandish portrait of a man.
- Meanwhile, the other winged putto looks sadly over her shoulder, perhaps pitying Cupid, or possibly foreseeing his own fate.
- A putto carved at Rimini, for example, embodies the ‘stone-blossom’ itself.
- The putto about to crush a dragon with a stone (which is missing) is a motif he would reuse in goldsmithing.
- The heads of the typically rococo putti appear on the handle and at the tops of the legs, which scroll out to bold shell feet.
- The putti celebrate the pleasures of life in vignettes representing an arcadian fantasy.
- Most of the frescoes on the ceiling are gone, but there are ornate chandeliers, and putti attend the plaster reliefs above.
- There are also putti riding dolphins and angels with fluttering tunics pressing against their epicene bodies.
- Cupid clambers over the roots of a dead tree and the unroused putti, towards the two lovers.
- If so, are the millstone and putto in keeping with his approach to such illustrations?
- The work comprises a limestone bust lodged under a classicized pediment surmounted by the poet's coat of arms and two putti.
- An aging, well-dressed don masked in dark glasses sits before a Tiepolo-like fresco of some celestial investiture involving putto and sword.
- A blue-winged putto, garlanded with pink and white flowers, gazes forward into the viewer's space.
- Behind Ariadne, putti plant a grapevine into the ground, and a vista expands to a second rocky outcropping in the sea.
- A putto, holding aloft a long, thorned stem, which is topped by a tiny house, seems to imply a whole mythic structure.
- Console tables had elaborately carved supports incorporating tritons, putti, and mermaids set amid scrolling vegetation.
- The cymbals have sounded, and one of the leopards has turned to look at a goat harassing a putto in the foreground.
- The central silver panel depicts an angel or putto with outstretched wings and arms, soaring heavenward.
- At the top of this painting, three putti hover over the scene.
English has borrowed many of the following foreign expressions of parting, so you’ve probably encountered some of these ways to say goodbye in other languages.
Many words formed by the addition of the suffix –ster are now obsolete - which ones are due a resurgence?
As their breed names often attest, dogs are a truly international bunch. Let’s take a look at 12 different dog breed names and their backstories.