In English, many things are named after a particular country – but have you ever wondered what those things are called in those countries?
- But the custom may seem puzzling or bizarre to many people today.
- It really has been a very puzzling week.
- The ending increased my strong, if puzzling, reaction.
- IBS can affect children, too, giving them a puzzling set of digestive complaints.
- What was puzzling was the manner of his exit.
- At first blush, these responses may seem puzzling.
- Among these, the most puzzling element to analysts has been the growth in personal income.
- However, there is one aspect of the debate that is, to me, simply puzzling.
- But the current discussion about moral status misses much that is most essential, and most interesting, and most puzzling.
- The movie also has a puzzling attitude towards women.
- Given the large structural changes in the complex, the small change in dynamics might seem puzzling.
- The Labour leader added that other aspects of the situation were puzzling.
- For an area that depends so much on tourism, the attitude of the authorities is puzzling.
- And so in that sense, he is not puzzling to us.
- Even more puzzling is that larger lizards from northern populations grow more slowly to reach their adult body size.
- With hindsight, it is puzzling that I was not electrocuted.
- Forensic tests must be done to bring more information in this puzzling, sad discovery.
- Even so, I did find the whole arrangement rather puzzling.
- There are many puzzling features about the French Air Force in 1940.
- Every few yards there is a surreal spectacle, a puzzling riddle or a mysterious door.
English has borrowed many of the following foreign expressions of parting, so you’ve probably encountered some of these ways to say goodbye in other languages.
Many words formed by the addition of the suffix –ster are now obsolete - which ones are due a resurgence?
As their breed names often attest, dogs are a truly international bunch. Let’s take a look at 12 different dog breed names and their backstories.