In English, many things are named after a particular country – but have you ever wondered what those things are called in those countries?
- Slowly he undid his pyjama jacket and dropped his pyjama trousers down around his ankles.
- He said that he had not dressed properly but had been wearing slippers, trousers, a vest and pyjama jacket about the house.
- Walking to the bed I grabbed a pair of blue plaid pajama bottoms, slipped them on then pulled a white t-shirt over my head.
- Beth hastily pulled on her nightdress, while Louis frantically rummaged around for his pyjama trousers.
- He was lying on his back, wearing only his blue pyjama trousers.
- He looked at her in her cow print pajama bottoms and sweat jacket.
- His pajama trousers are simple black sweats that are a little long even on him; he's standing on the bottoms.
- Personally I think the jackets look like pyjama coats, but they are not my cuppa.
- She saw she was wearing a pair of pyjama trousers and a pyjama t-shirt.
- It's now been several weeks since I've had to lock him in his room for failing to put a crease in my pyjama trousers.
- She pulled on her pajama bottoms, and then her top, went to her bed, got in under the sheets and pulled them up over herself.
- He finished toweling himself dry and pulled on the pajama bottoms that Dawn gave him the first night.
- He shed his pajama bottoms and pulled on a pair of pants over his boxers.
- Nobody's strolling by with trunks full of smoking jackets and silk pyjamas!
- Out of the dryer, he pulled out a pair of boxers and pajama bottoms.
- He'd already knelt down next to Jake, rolled his pyjama trousers up and put an ice pack over his knee.
- I stripped off my dress and pulled on a pair of pyjama bottoms and a vest, before climbing into bed.
- I washed up, brushed my teeth, pulled on my pajama bottoms despite the warm breeze trickling through my open window.
- Six months before, Lord Elgin had allowed me to try on James Bruce's scarlet pyjama trousers.
- Other highlights include PVC dresses, lace dresses, gold pyjama trousers and chiffon tops.
English has borrowed many of the following foreign expressions of parting, so you’ve probably encountered some of these ways to say goodbye in other languages.
Many words formed by the addition of the suffix –ster are now obsolete - which ones are due a resurgence?
As their breed names often attest, dogs are a truly international bunch. Let’s take a look at 12 different dog breed names and their backstories.