In English, many things are named after a particular country – but have you ever wondered what those things are called in those countries?
- In 1826 Cauchy, in the context of quadratic forms in n variables, used the term ‘tableau’ for the matrix of coefficients.
- Find the 2 roots and a continued fraction for a root of these quadratic equations.
- He was able to use his methods to prove many results in the theory of quadratic forms and number theory.
- If f = 0, then the quartic in y is actually a quadratic equation in the variable y 2.
- Smith also extended Gauss's theorem on real quadratic forms to complex quadratic forms.
English has borrowed many of the following foreign expressions of parting, so you’ve probably encountered some of these ways to say goodbye in other languages.
Many words formed by the addition of the suffix –ster are now obsolete - which ones are due a resurgence?
As their breed names often attest, dogs are a truly international bunch. Let’s take a look at 12 different dog breed names and their backstories.