In English, many things are named after a particular country – but have you ever wondered what those things are called in those countries?
- At least in quadrupeds, the weight of the lung is only a minor determinant of nonuniform transpulmonary pressures and alveolar volumes.
- Lions are quadrupeds, so they walk on four legs, not two.
- Not surprisingly, crurotarsans are much more likely to be obligate quadrupeds than are ornithodires.
- Let there be happiness in our home both for bipeds and quadrupeds.
- We should be able to tell the size of his average step, how his chest muscles worked, and if he was truly a quadruped or if he was bipedal.
- During terrestrial locomotion in a quadruped, the manus pushes against the substrate to decelerate, support, and reaccelerate the body.
- When he shifted back into his saddle, even further from Olos, the horse moved closer, bristling a little before his quadruped motion stopped.
- The glows appeared at varied heights, as the beings seemed to have a choice of being bipeds or quadrupeds.
- The quadruped stood on all four of its legs, its silver-grey synthetic fur shining, the false yellow eyes gleaming intensely.
- Such strange visions appeared during my delirium, beach demons with claws, odd quadrupeds, wings that staggered through dusk.
- Thus, these strange quadrupeds were made into bipeds.
- Born to run: humans will never win a sprint against your average quadruped.
- All the permissible domesticated or reared quadrupeds can be offered for Qurbani.
- A quadruped can be stable with only three feet on the ground.
- The creature was a quadruped, two appendages connected to the upper chest cavity, in a very mammalian like structure.
- Finally, if the quadrupeds don't alarm T. R. enough, the bipeds will.
- In the case of larger quadrupeds, birds, fish etc, preparing and eating the item is considerably easier when it is dead.
- On one side the tail of a serpent is seen on a quadruped, on the other side, the head of a quadruped is on the body of a fish.
- Horses, and other quadrupeds, also have scope for functional specialisation between limbs.
- It's a sad fact of life that certain small, furry quadrupeds don't make for suitable house pets.
English has borrowed many of the following foreign expressions of parting, so you’ve probably encountered some of these ways to say goodbye in other languages.
Many words formed by the addition of the suffix –ster are now obsolete - which ones are due a resurgence?
As their breed names often attest, dogs are a truly international bunch. Let’s take a look at 12 different dog breed names and their backstories.