In English, many things are named after a particular country – but have you ever wondered what those things are called in those countries?
- For linguistics nerds this is like a quadruple vodka.
- The thing about being independent is that all the profits are quadruple, quintuple what someone on a major label would make.
- Hornewer is demanding over $2 million for a rematch, about quadruple what Byrd earned in April.
- The 16-stone defendant had drunk several pints of beer, alcopops and a quadruple vodka.
2(with four parts)cuádruplecuádruplo
- Ok, would you mind if I scored a quadruple century?
- I am recovering from a quadruple coronary artery bypass operation.
- A quadruple threat, he can sing, act, write and pose.
- It's a quadruple negative, they cancel out, and everyone will be happy.
- The informant suggested the quadruple murder was the result of ‘a hit gone sour’ and Cooper was made a ‘scapegoat’.
- I never had any repercussions from that quadruple bypass at all.
- At the heart of this quadruple bill was Liturgy, an enthralling pas de deux by the clever Christopher.
- Only the quadruple mutant lacking all four genes exhibits a complete loss of floral organ identity.
- The timing of the quadruple murders is uncanny.
- Women have the quadruple roles of mother, housekeeper, wife, and worker, roughly in that order of importance.
- The legs were divided by four sets of joints, like having quadruple knees, and each ‘knee’ was filled with sand.
- The ship is equipped with two close-range, portable, Strela - 3M air defence missile systems, each system having a quadruple launcher.
- The test is called the quadruple screen when it measures the four substances in the mother's blood.
- Her first assignment was to report on an article about a quadruple murder.
- Four years later he suffered more attacks and needed a quadruple heart bypass that left him with kidney failure.
- I think she did a very nice quadruple pirouette.
- He also has overcome bladder cancer and a quadruple bypass on his heart.
- Ruth orders four rounds of quadruple ryes, Faulkner orders four rounds of moonshine.
- I have also worked on patients during three LVAD implant operations and one quadruple coronary by-pass operation.
- He had also recently recovered from a quadruple bypass operation.
3Music(time) de cuatro por cuatro
- Triple chants have been composed and a few quadruple chants also exist, but in use these become tiresome.
- The second piece is a Gavotta, a moderate dance in quadruple meter.
- All of sudden he does this incredible run where he goes up two octaves and back down in quadruple time.
English has borrowed many of the following foreign expressions of parting, so you’ve probably encountered some of these ways to say goodbye in other languages.
Many words formed by the addition of the suffix –ster are now obsolete - which ones are due a resurgence?
As their breed names often attest, dogs are a truly international bunch. Let’s take a look at 12 different dog breed names and their backstories.