In English, many things are named after a particular country – but have you ever wondered what those things are called in those countries?
- The thing about being independent is that all the profits are quadruple, quintuple what someone on a major label would make.
- For linguistics nerds this is like a quadruple vodka.
- The 16-stone defendant had drunk several pints of beer, alcopops and a quadruple vodka.
- Hornewer is demanding over $2 million for a rematch, about quadruple what Byrd earned in April.
2(with four parts)cuádruplecuádruplo
- The informant suggested the quadruple murder was the result of ‘a hit gone sour’ and Cooper was made a ‘scapegoat’.
- I am recovering from a quadruple coronary artery bypass operation.
- The legs were divided by four sets of joints, like having quadruple knees, and each ‘knee’ was filled with sand.
- I think she did a very nice quadruple pirouette.
- The ship is equipped with two close-range, portable, Strela - 3M air defence missile systems, each system having a quadruple launcher.
- Ruth orders four rounds of quadruple ryes, Faulkner orders four rounds of moonshine.
- He also has overcome bladder cancer and a quadruple bypass on his heart.
- The timing of the quadruple murders is uncanny.
- Her first assignment was to report on an article about a quadruple murder.
- Ok, would you mind if I scored a quadruple century?
- He had also recently recovered from a quadruple bypass operation.
- Four years later he suffered more attacks and needed a quadruple heart bypass that left him with kidney failure.
- The test is called the quadruple screen when it measures the four substances in the mother's blood.
- Women have the quadruple roles of mother, housekeeper, wife, and worker, roughly in that order of importance.
- A quadruple threat, he can sing, act, write and pose.
- It's a quadruple negative, they cancel out, and everyone will be happy.
- Only the quadruple mutant lacking all four genes exhibits a complete loss of floral organ identity.
- I have also worked on patients during three LVAD implant operations and one quadruple coronary by-pass operation.
- At the heart of this quadruple bill was Liturgy, an enthralling pas de deux by the clever Christopher.
- I never had any repercussions from that quadruple bypass at all.
3Music(time) de cuatro por cuatro
- The second piece is a Gavotta, a moderate dance in quadruple meter.
- All of sudden he does this incredible run where he goes up two octaves and back down in quadruple time.
- Triple chants have been composed and a few quadruple chants also exist, but in use these become tiresome.
English has borrowed many of the following foreign expressions of parting, so you’ve probably encountered some of these ways to say goodbye in other languages.
Many words formed by the addition of the suffix –ster are now obsolete - which ones are due a resurgence?
As their breed names often attest, dogs are a truly international bunch. Let’s take a look at 12 different dog breed names and their backstories.