In English, many things are named after a particular country – but have you ever wondered what those things are called in those countries?
- The interaction between Buddhism and Taoism gave rise to the Ch'an school of contemplative quietism which developed into Japanese Zen.
- Looked at more deeply, it seems to license quietism and indifference to things in the world, on the grounds that nothing that merely happens to people is really bad.
- Those who believe that all affairs of state will shortly come to an end are, for obvious reasons, inclined to political quietism.
- He urged quietism, pacifism, and submission to civil government, exhorting his followers to live peaceably and unobtrusively in harmony with the community and the government.
- Critics of Keswick spirituality alleged that through its emphasis on the inner life, it taught a quietism that discouraged practical expressions of Christian living and a mysticism that was foreign to evangelical theology.
- There can be no quietism, no reactionary traditionalism, no retreat from the world.
- However, the real meaning of Taoist wu-wei is not quietism at all, but rather, activity in harmony with the ever-changing, ever-unchanging Way of all life.
- Yet while Taoist teachings were unsystematic and emphasized quietism and inspiration, Buddhism offered a systematic philosophical framework and a tradition of textual scholarship.
- He abjures both quietism which leaves the world to its fate and the ‘myth of progress’ and looks to a Jesus who is still followed but also at least partly hidden and ‘yet to be revealed’.
- As a result, the next generation was to tend towards political quietism and, worst of all, a crass materialism.
- The regime sought to overcome the quietism of the middle classes and of the long-suffering peasantry with the propaganda of national greatness.
- Faced with the classic choice of writing or living, he finds himself capable of neither, and ponders a retreat into literary quietism.
- There's quietism on the one hand and militancy on the other and much depends on the conditions that people find themselves in, in any one point in time.
- It may well be that social constructivism is not necessarily linked to political quietism, but one can hardly imagine it motivating political activism, especially on behalf of the rights of other people.
- Conservatism and caution can become complacency and quietism, even though they don't start that way.
- At bottom there is a conflict here between activism and quietism.
- The period of political quietism on the left spanned three decades.
- These phases have been referred to as judicial quietism.
- Nietzsche began as a disciple of Schopenhauer, but later rejected his pessimism and quietism.
- Rather than challenging this quietism and posing a political alternative, the radical critique of the global theorists, in fact, reflects and reproduces this sense of incapacity.
English has borrowed many of the following foreign expressions of parting, so you’ve probably encountered some of these ways to say goodbye in other languages.
Many words formed by the addition of the suffix –ster are now obsolete - which ones are due a resurgence?
As their breed names often attest, dogs are a truly international bunch. Let’s take a look at 12 different dog breed names and their backstories.