In English, many things are named after a particular country – but have you ever wondered what those things are called in those countries?
1por excelenciapor antonomasiathe quintessential gentleman — el caballero por excelencia / antonomasia
- The quintessential banned record: its notoriety took it to number one.
- The first point that should be made about Collins is that he is the quintessential army man.
- Symbolically, his roles represented the quintessential dissident.
- These comprise the quintessential sights and sounds of Maritime coastal communities.
- With knock-knees and pigeon toes, he was not your quintessential runner, but he trained like a demon.
- It is also the ideal place to go for a quintessential English-style tea.
- He is the quintessential storyteller, who likes to write his tale and have it read.
- We shall consider each in turn and then discuss the quintessential example of the problem.
- I believe Antonio is the quintessential Montrealer because Montreal is a quirky city.
- So any mandatory reading list for young women should include at least one quintessential guy book.
- My visit to this restaurant represented the quintessential contemporary Irish dining experience.
- John properly described Bill as the quintessential English gentleman and he will be much missed by everyone.
- I suppose the waterfront dispute is the quintessential example, but that is only one amongst many.
- They have been described as the quintessential English pop group, with a string of hits bemoaning late-teen angst.
- The first movie, made in 1969, was the quintessential British caper film of the 1960s.
- He is the quintessential tragic music teacher, wild hair and too many kittens.
- Whatever his faults and many quirks, Monty is the quintessential team player.
English has borrowed many of the following foreign expressions of parting, so you’ve probably encountered some of these ways to say goodbye in other languages.
Many words formed by the addition of the suffix –ster are now obsolete - which ones are due a resurgence?
As their breed names often attest, dogs are a truly international bunch. Let’s take a look at 12 different dog breed names and their backstories.