In English, many things are named after a particular country – but have you ever wondered what those things are called in those countries?
- These, too, were the work of several artists working simultaneously on numbers of quires on details such as historiated initials, bas-de-page and marginal illustrations, and line endings.
- Pages printed on one or both sides, gathered into quires or folios, superseded papyrus and parchment rolls in the fourth century CE.
- But I did have the trimmings from the quires the monks made to make tiny booklets of my own.
- These quires are then bound together in the correct order to produce the book.
- Finally, the quires of pages are bound between two wooden covers and the spine is tied with damp leather.
English has borrowed many of the following foreign expressions of parting, so you’ve probably encountered some of these ways to say goodbye in other languages.
Many words formed by the addition of the suffix –ster are now obsolete - which ones are due a resurgence?
As their breed names often attest, dogs are a truly international bunch. Let’s take a look at 12 different dog breed names and their backstories.