In English, many things are named after a particular country – but have you ever wondered what those things are called in those countries?
- By which we ought to mean, the country will be in the hands of a puppet government, a government of quislings and collaborators, a government of pullovers and pushovers.
- If things were going really badly, and we had a quisling Government in this country - what would he have done?
- This won't be a quisling government making these choices.
- Those entrenched enough to deride as fools or quislings anyone who questions war may also be more prone to edit events to fit their version.
- He taught me about the Battle of the Boyne and Cromwell's massacres, about quislings and Black-and-Tans.
- Genuine democratic and social renewal within the Balkans can never take place under the political tutelage of the Western powers and their local quislings.
- Unlike Vietnam, we are backing strong, independent leaders, rather than quislings and puppets whose power base rests with our military forces and economic support.
- Then, as now, the occupiers say they were invited to stay by the very quislings they installed.
- His government was replaced by one of quislings.
- The aim of the conference was to begin consolidating a quisling regime to install after the invasion.
- As far as I am concerned, he is a pinko, quisling traitor.
- But so far the guerilla resistance has eschewed such random violence that hit civilians and instead has concentrated its attacks on U.S. troops and those it considers quislings.
- Most quislings come from the chattering classes, from academics and intellectuals.
- He's undermined our ability to stand up - we'll just be seen as potential traitors and quislings.
- They combined military threats and punishing sanctions to destabilise Yugoslavia with the creation of a quisling pro-Western opposition movement they have funded to the tune of tens of millions of dollars.
- During the 1976-83 period, operations included the assassination of police informers and perceived quislings, bank robberies and attacks on the security forces and police stations.
- They think of him as a quisling, a nuisance and a dangerous acquaintance.
English has borrowed many of the following foreign expressions of parting, so you’ve probably encountered some of these ways to say goodbye in other languages.
Many words formed by the addition of the suffix –ster are now obsolete - which ones are due a resurgence?
As their breed names often attest, dogs are a truly international bunch. Let’s take a look at 12 different dog breed names and their backstories.