In English, many things are named after a particular country – but have you ever wondered what those things are called in those countries?
- The practice of publishing figures showing attainment levels among schoolchildren in the three Rs has been scrapped, because the figures repeatedly damned the executive's appalling performance in education.
- Diversity might include free-thinking, liberal-minded schools, alongside those that favour the firm thwack of the three Rs above all else.
- We think it should become national policy that the educational system teach entrepreneurship just like it teaches the three Rs.
- Today's tables were based on the results achieved by the first year group of children to be affected by the extension of the primary school drive to improve the three Rs to comprehensives.
- Not enough funding, poor pay for academics, youngsters turning up with no grasp of the three Rs… there's always something to complain about.
- Like most seven-year-olds, Joe can think of a zillion things to do with his time other than the three Rs, which I assume are still being taught in school.
- Some blamed early childhood centres for focusing on the three Rs rather than play.
- His education there went far beyond the three Rs, taking in falconry, boxing and, most importantly, self-preservation.
- ‘Many were filling gaps in their knowledge of the three Rs, whilst at the other end of the scale at least 20 prisoners were pursuing Open University courses, two of whom gained degrees,’ it says.
- This seems a real pity since it is common to see grown up girls, well past primary school level, learning the three Rs after they have finished with household work.
- An annual poll of headteachers shows that increasing numbers of them think the policies being used to improve pupils' grasp of the three Rs in primary schools are working.
- One of the great developments has been the broadening of education in Ireland from the three Rs to the total development of people.
- It was not until the School Enforcement Act of 1876 that families were legally obliged to have their offspring educated and parents had to pay to have their children taught the three Rs.
- With the introduction of ‘payment by results’ in the 1860s, all children in elementary schools over the age of 6 were examined in the three Rs.
- Company bosses today said they were satisfied with this year's A level results, but said too many young people are leaving school without a good grasp of the three Rs.
- Perhaps society would be better off if its schools stuck to the three Rs and did a solid job in domains where they enjoy both competence and wide public support.
- There have been calls for a radical delivery of the three Rs, and we back this.
- Researchers identified a steady rise in time spent on the three Rs by juniors in England over the six years to 2002.
(in US)menores acompañados
English has borrowed many of the following foreign expressions of parting, so you’ve probably encountered some of these ways to say goodbye in other languages.
Many words formed by the addition of the suffix –ster are now obsolete - which ones are due a resurgence?
As their breed names often attest, dogs are a truly international bunch. Let’s take a look at 12 different dog breed names and their backstories.