In English, many things are named after a particular country – but have you ever wondered what those things are called in those countries?
1aficionado a las carreras masculineaficionada a las carreras feminine
- I've had the chance to mingle with the crowds and meet far more racegoers than I normally do, which hopefully helps convey the atmosphere to the viewers at home.
- Weekly racegoers are replaced by their once-a-year counterparts, hardened punters by revellers.
- Some racegoers even thought yesterday's racing had surpassed June's Royal Ascot meeting.
- Having been a racegoer for twenty years there are a couple of performances that live long in the memory.
- I am a keen racegoer and enjoyed watching the Derby.
- The dress code may sound outmoded and overly strict but most racegoers enjoy dressing up for what is always a very special occasion.
- Cancelled race meetings are one thing and racegoers will get over their disappointment very quickly when the action resumes.
- Colours were first used in 1762 to help racegoers distinguish the horses in any given contest.
- He is expected to be riding at the groundbreaking Sunday meeting, which is geared particularly towards first-time racegoers.
- There were certainly signs that racegoers were developing an interest in National Hunt by the time the last race had been run on Friday.
- The new grandstand will hold 10, 875 racegoers if permission is granted.
- There was a healthy crowd who stayed to watch the event which was put on partly to stagger the crush of racegoers leaving the course after the last race.
- But it is believed visiting racegoers will bring more than £50m into the local economy.
- For many racegoers, choosing a horse to bet on is both the most exciting and hardest part of a day at the races.
- Royal Ascot is synonymous with fashion and its racegoers provide plenty of striking pictures for the media each year - and talking points.
- ‘We received a lot of praise from racegoers, the public and licensees for our high profile policing,’ he said.
- Up to 50,000 racegoers are expected to attend each day of Royal Ascot in York next year and the city's tourism and hospitality industry is gearing up.
- Many racegoers seem to be unfazed by the allegations of race-fixing and general corrupt practices that are once again dogging the sport.
- Uttoxeter has always been a popular course with racegoers but recent years have seen huge improvements to its facilities.
- I have been a regular racegoer at Ayr race course for 20 years and I have seen it through good times and bad.
English has borrowed many of the following foreign expressions of parting, so you’ve probably encountered some of these ways to say goodbye in other languages.
Many words formed by the addition of the suffix –ster are now obsolete - which ones are due a resurgence?
As their breed names often attest, dogs are a truly international bunch. Let’s take a look at 12 different dog breed names and their backstories.