In English, many things are named after a particular country – but have you ever wondered what those things are called in those countries?
1carreras de caballos(commentator/correspondent) hípicoin racing circles — en círculos hípicos
- to be a racing certainty — ser de cajón
- it's a racing certainty that he'll be there — es de cajón que va a estar allí
1(bicycle/dog/car) de carrera(s)(yacht) de regatade carrerasautomovilístico(driver) de carreras(pigeon) mensajero(pigeon) de carreras
- Britain's first new racecourse for 60 years is odds-on to showcase top-flight racing.
- Nowhere is variety more the spice of life than when it comes to British racing, much to the envy of everyone else.
- In the last six months, the landscape of Washington racing has changed dramatically.
- There's a long heritage of racing in Northern Kentucky and Greater Cincinnati.
- He also was charged with giving misleading evidence to stewards and bringing racing into disrepute.
- The event remains the only occasion in British racing where every horse taking part wins prize money.
- The Downs has not conducted live racing since 1997 and shut down the following season due to financial trouble.
- He denied any allegation of race fixing but is due to face a Jockey Club charge of bringing racing into disrepute next month, which he denies.
- He was a keen amateur jockey and horse breeder who used his time as chairman of the Australian Jockey Club to revise the rules of racing - revisions that were later adopted nationally.
- The decision to resume both live racing and simulcasting will be made as soon as power is restored to the Miami track.
- Additionally, they say that racing should be taxed as an ordinary business.
- While there is no doubt that racing will be the focus of the day, racecourse chiefs have lots in store to keep the younger members of the family amused.
- Jump racing is one of the most dangerous sports that exist and all sorts of drama and injury lurk around the corner.
- His feeling for the track and racing came through very clearly, but again it was understated.
- Live racing was scheduled to return with five-race turf-only cards on Sunday and Monday.
- Turf racing is scheduled to run through the third week of November and may go longer, weather permitting.
- Redevelopment of the site will result in the end of live racing there, a feature of the fair since 1951.
- For maximum excitement and variety a mixed card of flat, hurdle and steeplechase racing has been organised.
- Live racing is scheduled to resume at both facilities on Saturday.
- A snowstorm wiped out live racing at five tracks in the Eastern United States on Sunday.
- Dirt bike racing is a contact sport that can take away lives thus extra protection and precaution must be taken into consideration.
- Around 45 percent of competitive kart racing is done by youths.
- I've lost movement in my left shoulder; physically I'm not up to competitive racing.
- Rally racing has been a sports phenomenon that has gripped the Europeans, but not North Americans.
- The track at millennium park provides the ideal opportunity for those interested in stepping into competitive racing.
- But he finally made the decision to end 20 years of high-level competitive racing after a race in Peterborough.
- On the competitive side of racing, no other current driver has three Winston Cup trophies.
- Even the yacht racing will be within the urban area, clearly visible from a myriad Sydney Harbour hills and vantage points: both firsts for an Olympiad.
- By nature, automobile racing is the most technological of sports.
- American Le Mans Series sports car racing is not the only competition on the track.
- Sulky racing normally involves one human and one horse
- There are soccer and basketball teams, and camel racing is a popular spectator sport.
- Dragon boat racing is a Chinese sport that has its origins about 2400 years ago.
- Yacht racing has been described as a hole in the ocean you throw money into!
- The sport of pigeon racing is built around a central mystery: the strange homing instinct of the pigeon.
- Luck influences the outcome of an event in auto racing more than in any other sport.
English has borrowed many of the following foreign expressions of parting, so you’ve probably encountered some of these ways to say goodbye in other languages.
Many words formed by the addition of the suffix –ster are now obsolete - which ones are due a resurgence?
As their breed names often attest, dogs are a truly international bunch. Let’s take a look at 12 different dog breed names and their backstories.