In English, many things are named after a particular country – but have you ever wondered what those things are called in those countries?
1ferrocarril (de) cremallera masculine
- This was not the first rack railway in Switzerland, but it is still there, still steam, and is as good an example as one can now find.
- You can also take the easy option and ride the early morning rack railway up the Zugspitze, Germany's highest peak.
- Even today rack railways are not too uncommon in some countries, especially mountainous ones.
- To go over the Andes by rail entailed very steep gradients indeed, and when I come to write about rack railways I will come back to them.
- The first rack railway was built in Rigi in 1873 and the one to Jungfrau mountain in 1898.
English has borrowed many of the following foreign expressions of parting, so you’ve probably encountered some of these ways to say goodbye in other languages.
Many words formed by the addition of the suffix –ster are now obsolete - which ones are due a resurgence?
As their breed names often attest, dogs are a truly international bunch. Let’s take a look at 12 different dog breed names and their backstories.