In English, many things are named after a particular country – but have you ever wondered what those things are called in those countries?
- The radiation dosage was 5000 rads, similar to what has been used for other domestic species.
- The dose equivalent in rems is numerically equal to the absorbed dose in rads multiplied by the quality factor, which, for most medical radiation, is one.
- The LD50 dose for humans is ~ 400 rads, so we may infer that the environment of Amalthea is such that an unshielded human would receive a fatal amount of ionizing radiation in a matter of seconds.
- For example, ordinary first responders are instructed not to enter an affected area to save someone's life if they would accumulate a dose of 25 rads of radiation.
- Ten rads per hour is several orders of magnitude more than a nuclear warhead would emit.
English has borrowed many of the following foreign expressions of parting, so you’ve probably encountered some of these ways to say goodbye in other languages.
Many words formed by the addition of the suffix –ster are now obsolete - which ones are due a resurgence?
As their breed names often attest, dogs are a truly international bunch. Let’s take a look at 12 different dog breed names and their backstories.