In English, many things are named after a particular country – but have you ever wondered what those things are called in those countries?
1impermeable masculinepiloto masculine Argentinapilot masculine Uruguayfeminine gabardinamasculine impermeablemasculine piloto Argentinamasculine pilot Uruguay
- Three years ago Burberry meant outdated raincoats, but now the check has been transformed into one of the hottest fashion labels.
- The men are in plain clothes and wear light raincoats or light overcoats over their uniforms.
- He once turned up at Buckingham Palace in a fawn raincoat, woollen gloves and an old silk hat.
- Almost all the raincoats were transparent plastic and made from a variety of materials from cling film to film negatives.
- From the coolest raincoats to the classiest overcoats, you're not ready for spring until you get your hands on a spring jacket.
- Beyond a police car and a dark van, he stopped beside a man in a raincoat and a bowler hat.
- We have raincoats, hats, and umbrellas - to shut out every dampened feeling that is falling upon us.
- The squad owns black raincoats and black parkas in a variety of sizes to accommodate all members for every type of weather.
- Who wears a trilby, a cravat and an old raincoat around these parts?
- You just need to pray that it does not rain or, to be on the safe side, bring one of those plastic poncho raincoats that fits in your purse.
- Instead, according to the weather bureau, you'll be more comfortable in raincoats and windbreakers - if you intend venturing outdoors.
- There are caps, a raincoat, a water-proof jacket, an umbrella and a medium weight jerkin, all kept in his care.
- Enclosed are ideas for embellishing your fabric and waterproofing it to make a beautiful raincoat.
- I find a raincoat on the coat rack and pick up an umbrella and take the girls outside.
- A raincoat will keep you high and dry, and it's a great way to add some punch to your sweater and jeans.
- Two men in felt hats and raincoats cast long shadows outside what we take to be Parliament Buildings.
- They were all wearing raincoats and trilby hats and carrying small cardboard suitcases.
- Those attending have been advised to come prepared for the weather, raincoat and trousers and waterproof footwear.
- Trek yanked on his jeans and a yellow raincoat and ran out into the storm.
- There stood two older boys, both dressed in yellow raincoats with big yellow hoods covering their eyes.
English has borrowed many of the following foreign expressions of parting, so you’ve probably encountered some of these ways to say goodbye in other languages.
Many words formed by the addition of the suffix –ster are now obsolete - which ones are due a resurgence?
As their breed names often attest, dogs are a truly international bunch. Let’s take a look at 12 different dog breed names and their backstories.