In English, many things are named after a particular country – but have you ever wondered what those things are called in those countries?
1precipitacionesfeminine precipitaciónfeminine lluvia
- Daily mean temperatures, wind speeds, humidities, and rainfalls for each region were supplied by the Royal Meteorological Office.
- The West Coast continues to be the main focus of our weather segment, with rainfalls in the record category.
- There has been relatively low rainfall through much of the East Coast of both islands of New Zealand.
- Many of these advances had taken place at night and all occurred in spite of major rainfalls, substantial amounts of mud, and weather problems hampering the ability to provide air support.
- Heavy rainfalls which have fallen intermittently in the Maluti and Mount Fletcher areas since Sunday have left vast destruction in their wake.
- Meyer was interested especially in plants that would flourish in areas of low rainfall.
- Above average rainfall was recorded for a few years in some isolated areas and even floods in others.
- Heavy rainfalls flooded central Bulgaria on September 19-20, leaving two dead, inundating hundreds of private homes and damaging infrastructure.
- In addition to the semiannual inspections, it's worthwhile to walk the roof after major rainfalls, high winds or hail to catch any damage early.
- However, in seasonal rainfall environments, whether rainfall is high or low, it is very easy to expose soil.
- The climate is exceptional, with sunshine, balmy temperatures and low rainfall.
- It is understood, though, that despite the plenitude of the Windhoek area, there are areas which have seen only lightning and experienced the cooling breeze of distant rainfalls.
- Whilst rainfall in some areas seems to have diminished, in others it appears to have increased.
- He said to be sure to check the spring rainfalls to see if it makes sense to come in south Texas next year.
- Until early this year, he had bred 600 head but low rainfall forced him to sell half his stock.
- Areas where the rainfall is lowest on record for the given time period are also shown.
- With solid rainfalls throughout the day and into the night, 37 mm of badly needed rain fell in the Canada Bay Region as a result of the storms.
- The rainfall in the lower areas had not been abnormal and they had no way of knowing of the torrential rains higher up.
- There was also severe flooding in the Craven area with rainfall breaking a ten year record.
- The southern swamplands have the lowest rainfall but are humid and oppressive all year.
- The poor desert soil, the high altitude and low rainfall provided an unlikely haven for the young vines.
- Now fresh water flooding and heavy rainfalls and tornadic storms are all a part of a landing hurricane.
- Instead, Manchester has endured nearly two thirds of its average July rainfall in just two weeks.
- The officials said that if the plum rains bring disappointing rainfalls in the south, leaving farmland fallow in the summer would be the only way to prevent drought conditions.
- When grown in their natural environment, often consisting of hot climates with sporadic rainfalls, C 4 plants have a selective advantage over C 3 plants.
- This followed torrential rainfalls that affected most parts of the county.
- After several days of torrential rainfalls, several barrier lakes near Chiufenerh Mountain in Nantou County were yesterday on the verge of collapse.
- These are poles at the side of the road to measure temperature, wind speed, rainfall and fog density.
- He said normal constant rainfalls, which are normally experienced this time of the season, were very important to the growth of the maize crop.
- More rain fell in that week than the region's rainfall for the entire year.
- So in the Sahel region of Africa average rainfall has fallen by a quarter in the last 30 years.
- Deceived by several years of excellent rainfalls and believing that ‘rain would follow the plough’, farmers went beyond the safe agricultural areas.
- Our streets are flooded even after short rainfalls due to acute lack of rainwater outlets and clogged storm water drains.
- Showers in the morning and consistent rainfalls made for restricted track times of the two drivers.
- Many of the lakes are natural bodies of water that are fed by the area's high rainfall.
- The value of such distant rainfalls is that they do contribute to the flow of the Kunene and the inflow through Ruacana.
- December to April are the driest seasons, but because it has a tropical climate, there may be one or two rainfalls.
- Well, the rainfall in this area is one-third of the amount that falls on the Fort William area.
- Usually areas of high rainfall have a low pH and areas of low rainfall have a high pH.
- Unfortunately the rain did not and there were many years when rainfall was too low for a good crop.
English has borrowed many of the following foreign expressions of parting, so you’ve probably encountered some of these ways to say goodbye in other languages.
Many words formed by the addition of the suffix –ster are now obsolete - which ones are due a resurgence?
As their breed names often attest, dogs are a truly international bunch. Let’s take a look at 12 different dog breed names and their backstories.