In English, many things are named after a particular country – but have you ever wondered what those things are called in those countries?
- This is nasty rain, where an umbrella or full on rainproof outerwear is required, and the first 8 inches of your pant legs will get wet.
- The sheets of silk are also rainproof, which is very handy when there are tropical downpours.
- Girls are asked to bring a rainproof jacket to wear, secure footwear and a bottle of water.
- Tomoko strode happily and grinned as she walked up to her bike, covered with an old withered rainproof blanket.
- Participants are advised to wear warm comfortable rainproof clothing and suitable footwear.
- Be sure to wear suitable rainproof clothing.
- The State Government refused even to construct rainproof shelters in the camps and starved them of food supplies.
- Wind and rainproof clothing is essential at all times.
- The person was tall, with a dark rainproof coat, carrying something heavy in his hands.
- Sensible shoes and rainproof clothing are recommended, but we were lucky enough to have all fine weather.
- Those participating should wear suitable rainproof clothing and footwear.
- Always travel with stout boots, rainproof clothing, spare clothes, a first aid kid, torch, map, compass, food and drink.
- A warm, rainproof jacket and sturdy, comfortable walking shoes are a must.
- Seedlings of the four species were placed in field cages, the roofs of which were rainproof and shaded.
- This guy would be good in a crisis, the kind of mate who could fashion a rainproof shelter and a meal for four from nothing but roadkill and a ball of twine.
- There are rainproof bags for stormy days, sturdy totes for the beach, delicate fabrics for evening, and squashy shoulder bags for casual wear.
- Thirteen years later, in 1989, she had a rainproof house, her two children were in school and she had diverse income streams, both constant and seasonal - bamboo weaving, livestock, vegetable gardening.
- Be sure to bring enough food and water to sustain oneself and wear suitable rainproof clothing.
- This rainproof, light and durable jacket offers the golfer plenty of movement so your golf swing won't be impeded.
- The first half flew by in a flash and at the interval cars, vans and almost anything that was roadworthy and rainproof brought some fans from one viewing point to another.
English has borrowed many of the following foreign expressions of parting, so you’ve probably encountered some of these ways to say goodbye in other languages.
Many words formed by the addition of the suffix –ster are now obsolete - which ones are due a resurgence?
As their breed names often attest, dogs are a truly international bunch. Let’s take a look at 12 different dog breed names and their backstories.