In English, many things are named after a particular country – but have you ever wondered what those things are called in those countries?
1agua de lluvia
- Families in a south Essex village today called for urgent action after rainwater and sewage flooded their homes.
- While one half of the marsh receives saline water, the other half is filled with natural rainwater.
- It is heated and cooled using the power from the nearby lake and solar panels on the roof, and the toilets are flushed using rainwater.
- Maintenance is required to stop rainwater getting into the structure and corroding the steel framework of the tower.
- The resin found its way into the trading estate's balancing pond, which catches rainwater from roofs and car parks.
- Let the pots stand in a saucer of water, ideally rainwater, then let them dry off a bit over the winter.
- It also disrupts the water table by preventing rainwater from seeping down through the soil.
- A length of wooden guttering ran along the front, with a downspout at the end for disposing of rainwater.
- Recycled rainwater will be used to flush the toilets and water the gardens.
- They get their water from a big trough replenished by rainwater from the roof gutter on the barn.
- I wandered around a bit and ended up by the two big tanks that collect rainwater from our roof.
- The barrel itself stood outside collecting rainwater in which Andrew washed his white hair.
- Next time it rains, these students can go to the centre and see for themselves how rainwater can be harvested.
- Parts of the centre of York flooded as rainwater raised the level of the River Ouse flowing through the city.
- The trees around her all dripped with rainwater after the sudden downpour that took place only fifteen minutes ago.
- This will effectively help the swift drainage of rainwater during heavy downpours.
- They took a sample in the rain catchment areas where rainwater would have washed down.
- The issue is a relatively simple one: namely, how the city should deal with rainwater.
- The proposal for digging rain pits to store rainwater may look good on paper.
- For nine months they drifted in an open boat across the Pacific, surviving on rainwater and raw fish.
English has borrowed many of the following foreign expressions of parting, so you’ve probably encountered some of these ways to say goodbye in other languages.
Many words formed by the addition of the suffix –ster are now obsolete - which ones are due a resurgence?
As their breed names often attest, dogs are a truly international bunch. Let’s take a look at 12 different dog breed names and their backstories.