In English, many things are named after a particular country – but have you ever wondered what those things are called in those countries?
- Even on rainy days the large hall space allows for plenty of physical and fun activities.
- Umbrella sellers don't care what the annual rainfall is, they care how many rainy days there will be.
- Poa bulbosa becomes dormant quite early in the growth season, well before the end of the rainy period.
- Carling will try to convince the consumer that it is as Scottish as heather and rainy summers.
- In south China, the weather is hot, rainy and wet, so cool foods are good for the health.
- The rainy weather definitely seems to have moved on as it is sunny this morning.
- I managed to get a short walk in between showers on what's been a mostly rainy day.
- It's not a dinner-party dish, but it might be just what you want on a rainy weekend.
- My first trip was to Windermere and I remember that it was a miserable, rainy day but we still went out on the lake.
- There is something about rainy days that can make you feel strangely melancholic and happy at the same time.
- The state government blamed cold and rainy weather for the programme's shortcomings.
- Here, during the rainy season, rapid bubbling rivers flow along the bottoms of these chasms.
- In rainy periods, when few insects are flying, the birds switch to ground feeding.
- What better way to spend a rainy holiday summer afternoon in Salcombe or Lowestoft?
- In fact, the seed dispersal rate was notably higher when capsules dried after a rainy period.
- The collapse occurred in the heavy downpours that marked the last two rainy seasons.
- The water in the jail is cold, and the weather has turned rainy so there is very little sun.
- The rate of infection has accelerated dramatically with the onset of the rainy season.
- I'm in Houston and we got our first bit of cold, rainy winter weather this week.
- On rainy days, water cascading from the roof provides the area with a relaxing view.
English has borrowed many of the following foreign expressions of parting, so you’ve probably encountered some of these ways to say goodbye in other languages.
Many words formed by the addition of the suffix –ster are now obsolete - which ones are due a resurgence?
As their breed names often attest, dogs are a truly international bunch. Let’s take a look at 12 different dog breed names and their backstories.