In English, many things are named after a particular country – but have you ever wondered what those things are called in those countries?
- I managed to get a short walk in between showers on what's been a mostly rainy day.
- My first trip was to Windermere and I remember that it was a miserable, rainy day but we still went out on the lake.
- Even on rainy days the large hall space allows for plenty of physical and fun activities.
- In south China, the weather is hot, rainy and wet, so cool foods are good for the health.
- The rate of infection has accelerated dramatically with the onset of the rainy season.
- The state government blamed cold and rainy weather for the programme's shortcomings.
- Here, during the rainy season, rapid bubbling rivers flow along the bottoms of these chasms.
- It's not a dinner-party dish, but it might be just what you want on a rainy weekend.
- The rainy weather definitely seems to have moved on as it is sunny this morning.
- Carling will try to convince the consumer that it is as Scottish as heather and rainy summers.
- I'm in Houston and we got our first bit of cold, rainy winter weather this week.
- In fact, the seed dispersal rate was notably higher when capsules dried after a rainy period.
- Umbrella sellers don't care what the annual rainfall is, they care how many rainy days there will be.
- There is something about rainy days that can make you feel strangely melancholic and happy at the same time.
- What better way to spend a rainy holiday summer afternoon in Salcombe or Lowestoft?
- The collapse occurred in the heavy downpours that marked the last two rainy seasons.
- Poa bulbosa becomes dormant quite early in the growth season, well before the end of the rainy period.
- In rainy periods, when few insects are flying, the birds switch to ground feeding.
- On rainy days, water cascading from the roof provides the area with a relaxing view.
- The water in the jail is cold, and the weather has turned rainy so there is very little sun.
English has borrowed many of the following foreign expressions of parting, so you’ve probably encountered some of these ways to say goodbye in other languages.
Many words formed by the addition of the suffix –ster are now obsolete - which ones are due a resurgence?
As their breed names often attest, dogs are a truly international bunch. Let’s take a look at 12 different dog breed names and their backstories.