In English, many things are named after a particular country – but have you ever wondered what those things are called in those countries?
1(choice/testing) al azar(shot) hecho al azar(bullet) perdido(sample) aleatorio(sample) seleccionado al azarrandom sample — muestra aleatoria
- random sampling — muestreo aleatorio
- In a changing world we have become used to random acts of senseless violence.
- Some deaths may be attributed to domestic violence or random crime.
- What is now required is to go beyond looking at what happened as a random event.
- No conclusion can be drawn from her death other than that random acts of violence can happen anywhere.
- We like to work on the songs so that they're not just random power chords.
- When I'm forced to make a decision, I'll often use some random means to help me make up my mind.
- The journey was relatively silent, aside from the random clearing of throats.
- This sampling error causes random fluctuations in allele frequencies called genetic drift.
- In a random sample of 1,150 Orkney people, Smith was not common enough to make it into the top ten list.
- In science, observations are not any random facts that investigators happen to have registered.
- The four conditions occurred in a random order and with equal probability within each block of trials.
- Disappointingly, the survey reveals that random violence is increasing.
- So even if one starts with a random sample, the sample can end up being greatly biased by way of the limited response.
- His stories do not conclude, but simply stop dead with a random act of violence.
- Results are based on statistically valid random samples of members and are rigorously audited.
- This is not just a random grab at topicality but a surprisingly cogent decision.
- We don't want a list of random facts that just happen to be true of all the languages that are spoken now.
- He becomes the victim of random violence, and is beaten to death by street thugs.
- Sometimes I just get random thoughts in my head, and these can happen at the worst possible times.
- This has made the whole process of ensuring a random sample more difficult.
- It shows that life for many prisoners is one of drug addiction, random violence and long periods spent locked up in their cells.
- They were weighted and thought out and they weren't random sporadic decisions.
- I busied myself with some random fruit at the vegie markets while casually looking back at him.
- Here we studied the relationship between random happenings and the natural order of things.
- So basing any decision on what is most likely to be a random share price pattern is in reality like pouring money down the drain.
2as adverb at random — al azar
- to hit out at random — dar golpes a diestro y siniestro
English has borrowed many of the following foreign expressions of parting, so you’ve probably encountered some of these ways to say goodbye in other languages.
Many words formed by the addition of the suffix –ster are now obsolete - which ones are due a resurgence?
As their breed names often attest, dogs are a truly international bunch. Let’s take a look at 12 different dog breed names and their backstories.