In English, many things are named after a particular country – but have you ever wondered what those things are called in those countries?
1(choice/testing) al azar(shot) hecho al azar(bullet) perdido(sample) aleatorio(sample) seleccionado al azarrandom sample — muestra aleatoria feminine
- random sampling — muestreo aleatorio
- This sampling error causes random fluctuations in allele frequencies called genetic drift.
- We like to work on the songs so that they're not just random power chords.
- It shows that life for many prisoners is one of drug addiction, random violence and long periods spent locked up in their cells.
- The journey was relatively silent, aside from the random clearing of throats.
- We don't want a list of random facts that just happen to be true of all the languages that are spoken now.
- Disappointingly, the survey reveals that random violence is increasing.
- He becomes the victim of random violence, and is beaten to death by street thugs.
- This has made the whole process of ensuring a random sample more difficult.
- In science, observations are not any random facts that investigators happen to have registered.
- When I'm forced to make a decision, I'll often use some random means to help me make up my mind.
- Sometimes I just get random thoughts in my head, and these can happen at the worst possible times.
- I busied myself with some random fruit at the vegie markets while casually looking back at him.
- Results are based on statistically valid random samples of members and are rigorously audited.
- So even if one starts with a random sample, the sample can end up being greatly biased by way of the limited response.
- In a random sample of 1,150 Orkney people, Smith was not common enough to make it into the top ten list.
- Some deaths may be attributed to domestic violence or random crime.
- Here we studied the relationship between random happenings and the natural order of things.
- So basing any decision on what is most likely to be a random share price pattern is in reality like pouring money down the drain.
- His stories do not conclude, but simply stop dead with a random act of violence.
- No conclusion can be drawn from her death other than that random acts of violence can happen anywhere.
- What is now required is to go beyond looking at what happened as a random event.
- They were weighted and thought out and they weren't random sporadic decisions.
- This is not just a random grab at topicality but a surprisingly cogent decision.
- In a changing world we have become used to random acts of senseless violence.
- The four conditions occurred in a random order and with equal probability within each block of trials.
2as adverb at random — al azar
- to hit out at random — dar golpes a diestro y siniestro
English has borrowed many of the following foreign expressions of parting, so you’ve probably encountered some of these ways to say goodbye in other languages.
Many words formed by the addition of the suffix –ster are now obsolete - which ones are due a resurgence?
As their breed names often attest, dogs are a truly international bunch. Let’s take a look at 12 different dog breed names and their backstories.