In English, many things are named after a particular country – but have you ever wondered what those things are called in those countries?
1(blow)golpe masculinethere was a rap at the door — se oyó un golpe en la puerta
- I don't care a rap — me importa un bledo / un pepino / un rábano / un comino
- A quick rap at the door made Katie realize that she had been in a daze.
- Some minutes later, as they were finishing their meal, there was a sharp rap on the front door.
- A sharp rap on Ryan's window eventually broke us apart.
- A sharp rap sounded on the door and Clara reached out to open it.
- She waited patiently until she heard the rap of the door and raced downstairs to open up the door.
- Three sharp raps at the door interrupted his speech and Ben looked helplessly to Marie.
- Before he could answer Roland's question, a sharp rap on the door interrupted him.
- A timid knock sounded, followed by a couple of bold raps on the door.
- Because a moment later, I hear a sharp rap on the door.
- A sharp rap on his door told Dmitri that Helena had arrived.
- That earns him a sharp rap on the shoulder, but he says he doesn't mind because my punches don't hurt.
- If caught using her left hand, it got a rap on the knuckles with a rule.
- A sharp rap at the door made the quartet's heads turn simultaneously toward the door.
- I was getting into bed when I heard a quick rap on the door.
- Lifting her hand to the knot infested wood, she gave the door a quick rap with her knuckles
- A sharp rap at the door of the dressing room broke the two out of their romantic interlude.
- Not before long he heard a sharp rap on the door, and a stern voice telling him no doors were to be locked in that family.
- After a brisk rap on the door, the four officers went inside the terraced house in Shirley.
- He was deep in thought, and jumped when a sharp rap on the metal of the steel trailer rang in his ears.
- Smart's parents deserve a dozen sharp raps on the head, as well.
2.1US informal (criticism)crítica feminineacusación feminine
- Removing him for this game serves the dual purpose of delivering a sharp rap to him as he searches about for his best form and adding some extra strength to Kerry's attack in Liam Hassett.
2.2US informal (conviction)to pin a rap on sb — endilgarle las culpas a algn
3.1informal (chat)charla femininecháchara feminine informalwe had a rap about old times — estuvimos de cháchara rememorando los viejos tiempos informal
- He's pretty quiet at the hall meetings and the rap group sessions.
- In a calm, cool, and extremely friendly way, hold a rap session with your dancers and their parents.
- So whenever Hilary has any of her cronies over, I have to suffer through a rap session blaring from her room.
- Their raps may be blazing, but the melodies deliberately evoke early Beach Boys memories.
- Johnson must have sung about his life, just as today's rap artists doubtless sing about their own experiences.
- ‘Hip hop’ refers to a culture that existed before rap music was ever heard on the radio.
- Both fans of techno and fans of rap music should enjoy this album.
- Roll Deep recently managed it by setting some hard urban beats and raps against some well-chosen samples and melodies.
- So, what could listening to rap and other music have to do with improving those scores?
- But with the rise to prominence of rap and R&B, black artists with clout have started to emerge and are more powerful than ever before.
- When I would hear my students reciting rap lyrics, I used to ask them what the words actually meant.
- ‘Summer Girl’ could be one of the best singles of the year and on ‘Que Onda Guero’ he puts together his best-ever raps.
- One would assume that Mills, coming from the progressive, underground garage movement, would buttress his raps with arresting beats.
- All of these women's raps illustrate that they can do what they are doing.
- Big Boi's raps are, as always, inventive, the words tumbling out with speed and bite.
- The duo take a distinctly independent approach to hip-hop, creating cinematic but melancholy beats around some telling raps from Reindeer.
- Mainly produced by, and featuring, Eminem, it gives you what you'd expect - strong beats, ironic raps and bizarre alter egos.
- The book is well written, carefully researched, and nicely organized, and its study of the early origins of rap is fascinating.
- I am fascinated by his raps and the way he started rapping.
- Since then, youth involvement with rap has rapidly increased throughout the country.
- Everlast is one of the few artists who can take on a style of music like rap and bring something fresh to it while still keeping it all real.
- His voice has a limited range, but is used well, serving the slow burn of these songs far more effectively than a straightforward rap.
- His more unusual gambit, however, is dicing the sampled raps of various MCs into terse snippets.
- You were one of the first prominent female solo artists in rap music.
- Luckily, K-OS has the rhymes to back up his rants, wielding a lyrical intelligence that shines both on his ardent raps and in his surprisingly smooth singing.
- In these artists, many fans find some continuity with the fun-loving and community-oriented origins of rap.
- The Hard Knock Life tour made it so rap artists could go out again and do arena tours.
- The result fuses generic hip-hop beats and raps with some genuinely surprising performers - criss-crossing some radio-friendly funk with something a little more introspective.
- As usual with Canibus' battle raps, the lyrics are near flawless.
- So, instead of offering thoughtful lyrics that address contemporary concerns both political and social, or easing the audience into a new sound with trademark humor, he keeps the beats simple and the raps simpler.
- In his spare time, he watches TV and listens to rap, hip-hop, R & B and reggae.
- Reggae, pop, and rap are popular with the youth.
- Murs has been cultivating the art of storytelling in his raps for some time now.
- Once in a while, an artist comes along that completely revolutionizes rap music.
- All their songs were full of slang phrases and raps.
- We certainly can't peg Sole as a hip-hop artist based on raps alone.
- His cinematic influence is to the fore again with a number of tracks, usually using Peveron's rambling raps, as vehicles to keep the album moving.
- She was listening rock music and rap from a small black radio that was next to her.
- In 2001, hip-hop and rap overtook country music as the second most popular form of music bought in the United States.
- Vordul's verse is uninspiring and sounds much more like spoken word poetry, rather than a proper rap.
- The number of rap productions grew constantly and rapidly in the 1990s throughout Europe.
- There is a wide range of rock, hip hop, rap and techno music.
- Indeed, the number of Spanish rap artists and CDs has continued to increase ever since.
1(knock)dar un golpeto rap at/on the door — llamar a la puerta
- I walked downstairs in a towel and rapped on the front desk.
- Pat anxiously rapped on each of the windows, concerned that occupants of the home might have been trapped inside.
- When the man didn't seem to notice, Joey rapped on the counter hard.
- After this was done he moved to the coffin and rapped on the lid three times.
- The dark-haired boy rapped on the strange panel with his knuckles.
- There was a light at the back of the building and she rapped on the glass hoping someone would hear.
- She quickly stepped over him and rapped on Jack and Michael's door.
- She curled her fingers into a fist and rapped on the window.
- Sara rapped on my desk loudly and interrupted our conversation.
- The teacher rapped on his desk twice and stood up.
- She had reached the door to her mother's room, and gently rapped on it until she called out.
- I screamed as someone rapped on my window with their knuckles.
- Fox rapped on the table to call the meeting to order.
- Early the next morning, Angela rapped on Kieran's door.
- He rapped on my window, completely startling me.
- The door was locked, but he rapped on it softly for several minutes and finally it swung open.
- Daimon rapped on the cold glass and fogged it with her breath.
- The teacher rapped on the chalkboard with a yardstick, making some of the kids fall out of their desk comically.
- At that moment Peach looked their way and rapped on the table with a jeweled rod.
- Janet followed Bill to the basement window, where Bill jumped lightly into the window well and rapped on the window.
- Just call her up to rap about it.
- Jean Grae responds, and then she raps about baseball, sounding like a natural.
1(hit)he rapped his gavel for silence — dio unos golpes con el martillo para que hicieran silencio
2(rebuke)amonestarllamar al orden
- At the 1998 Nagano Olympics, he was rapped by Bazay for criticizing the selection of freestyle skier Jean-Luc Brassard as Canada's flag-bearer.
English has borrowed many of the following foreign expressions of parting, so you’ve probably encountered some of these ways to say goodbye in other languages.
Many words formed by the addition of the suffix –ster are now obsolete - which ones are due a resurgence?
As their breed names often attest, dogs are a truly international bunch. Let’s take a look at 12 different dog breed names and their backstories.