In English, many things are named after a particular country – but have you ever wondered what those things are called in those countries?
1(blow)golpe masculinethere was a rap at the door — se oyó un golpe en la puerta
- I don't care a rap — me importa un bledo / un pepino / un rábano / un comino
- I was getting into bed when I heard a quick rap on the door.
- A timid knock sounded, followed by a couple of bold raps on the door.
- If caught using her left hand, it got a rap on the knuckles with a rule.
- She waited patiently until she heard the rap of the door and raced downstairs to open up the door.
- Smart's parents deserve a dozen sharp raps on the head, as well.
- A sharp rap sounded on the door and Clara reached out to open it.
- Not before long he heard a sharp rap on the door, and a stern voice telling him no doors were to be locked in that family.
- Lifting her hand to the knot infested wood, she gave the door a quick rap with her knuckles
- A sharp rap on his door told Dmitri that Helena had arrived.
- Three sharp raps at the door interrupted his speech and Ben looked helplessly to Marie.
- A sharp rap at the door of the dressing room broke the two out of their romantic interlude.
- A sharp rap on Ryan's window eventually broke us apart.
- A quick rap at the door made Katie realize that she had been in a daze.
- Before he could answer Roland's question, a sharp rap on the door interrupted him.
- That earns him a sharp rap on the shoulder, but he says he doesn't mind because my punches don't hurt.
- Some minutes later, as they were finishing their meal, there was a sharp rap on the front door.
- After a brisk rap on the door, the four officers went inside the terraced house in Shirley.
- A sharp rap at the door made the quartet's heads turn simultaneously toward the door.
- Because a moment later, I hear a sharp rap on the door.
- He was deep in thought, and jumped when a sharp rap on the metal of the steel trailer rang in his ears.
2.1(criticism)crítica feminineacusación feminine
- Removing him for this game serves the dual purpose of delivering a sharp rap to him as he searches about for his best form and adding some extra strength to Kerry's attack in Liam Hassett.
2.2(conviction)to pin a rap on sb — acusar a algn
- to take the rap for sth — cargar con la culpa de algo
- to beat the rap — escabullirse
3.1(informal) (chat)charla femininecháchara feminine informalwe had a rap about old times — estuvimos de cháchara rememorando los viejos tiempos
- So whenever Hilary has any of her cronies over, I have to suffer through a rap session blaring from her room.
- In a calm, cool, and extremely friendly way, hold a rap session with your dancers and their parents.
- He's pretty quiet at the hall meetings and the rap group sessions.
- Murs has been cultivating the art of storytelling in his raps for some time now.
- I am fascinated by his raps and the way he started rapping.
- His voice has a limited range, but is used well, serving the slow burn of these songs far more effectively than a straightforward rap.
- ‘Hip hop’ refers to a culture that existed before rap music was ever heard on the radio.
- Indeed, the number of Spanish rap artists and CDs has continued to increase ever since.
- Once in a while, an artist comes along that completely revolutionizes rap music.
- Their raps may be blazing, but the melodies deliberately evoke early Beach Boys memories.
- The Hard Knock Life tour made it so rap artists could go out again and do arena tours.
- All of these women's raps illustrate that they can do what they are doing.
- In 2001, hip-hop and rap overtook country music as the second most popular form of music bought in the United States.
- Roll Deep recently managed it by setting some hard urban beats and raps against some well-chosen samples and melodies.
- The book is well written, carefully researched, and nicely organized, and its study of the early origins of rap is fascinating.
- Reggae, pop, and rap are popular with the youth.
- One would assume that Mills, coming from the progressive, underground garage movement, would buttress his raps with arresting beats.
- Both fans of techno and fans of rap music should enjoy this album.
- All their songs were full of slang phrases and raps.
- As usual with Canibus' battle raps, the lyrics are near flawless.
- Vordul's verse is uninspiring and sounds much more like spoken word poetry, rather than a proper rap.
- The number of rap productions grew constantly and rapidly in the 1990s throughout Europe.
- In these artists, many fans find some continuity with the fun-loving and community-oriented origins of rap.
- You were one of the first prominent female solo artists in rap music.
- The result fuses generic hip-hop beats and raps with some genuinely surprising performers - criss-crossing some radio-friendly funk with something a little more introspective.
- ‘Summer Girl’ could be one of the best singles of the year and on ‘Que Onda Guero’ he puts together his best-ever raps.
- His cinematic influence is to the fore again with a number of tracks, usually using Peveron's rambling raps, as vehicles to keep the album moving.
- She was listening rock music and rap from a small black radio that was next to her.
- We certainly can't peg Sole as a hip-hop artist based on raps alone.
- His more unusual gambit, however, is dicing the sampled raps of various MCs into terse snippets.
- So, instead of offering thoughtful lyrics that address contemporary concerns both political and social, or easing the audience into a new sound with trademark humor, he keeps the beats simple and the raps simpler.
- Since then, youth involvement with rap has rapidly increased throughout the country.
- Big Boi's raps are, as always, inventive, the words tumbling out with speed and bite.
- But with the rise to prominence of rap and R&B, black artists with clout have started to emerge and are more powerful than ever before.
- Johnson must have sung about his life, just as today's rap artists doubtless sing about their own experiences.
- Luckily, K-OS has the rhymes to back up his rants, wielding a lyrical intelligence that shines both on his ardent raps and in his surprisingly smooth singing.
- When I would hear my students reciting rap lyrics, I used to ask them what the words actually meant.
- In his spare time, he watches TV and listens to rap, hip-hop, R & B and reggae.
- So, what could listening to rap and other music have to do with improving those scores?
- The duo take a distinctly independent approach to hip-hop, creating cinematic but melancholy beats around some telling raps from Reindeer.
- There is a wide range of rock, hip hop, rap and techno music.
- Everlast is one of the few artists who can take on a style of music like rap and bring something fresh to it while still keeping it all real.
- Mainly produced by, and featuring, Eminem, it gives you what you'd expect - strong beats, ironic raps and bizarre alter egos.
1(knock)dar un golpeto rap at/on the door — llamar a la puerta
1(hit)he rapped my knuckles — me pegó en los nudillos
- he rapped his gavel for silence — dio unos golpes con el martillo para que hicieran silencio
2(rebuke)amonestarllamar al orden
English has borrowed many of the following foreign expressions of parting, so you’ve probably encountered some of these ways to say goodbye in other languages.
Many words formed by the addition of the suffix –ster are now obsolete - which ones are due a resurgence?
As their breed names often attest, dogs are a truly international bunch. Let’s take a look at 12 different dog breed names and their backstories.