In English, many things are named after a particular country – but have you ever wondered what those things are called in those countries?
1(sexual violation)violación femininemasculine estupro
2literary(of the countryside, earth)expoliación feminine literary
3archaic(abduction)rapto masculinethe Rape of the Sabine Women — el rapto de las Sabinas
1(person) violar(countryside) expoliar literary
- Problems facing farmers include the extra costs involved in drying wheat, barley and oilseed rape.
- It is recommended that GM oilseed rape and beet should not be grown in Britain.
- The very warm and dry conditions had seen half of lowland winter barley crops harvested with winter oilseed rape not far behind.
- Up to 7000 acres of oilseed rape contaminated with genes designed to resist a herbicide were planted by hundreds of Scottish farmers in the spring because of a mistake by the international seed company, Advanta.
- The former arable area has been re-focused to give a more 21st century feel and will include demonstration crops such as oilseed rape grown for bio-diesel fuel.
- Ramblers say oilseed rape and cereal crops are still blocking rights of way across North Yorkshire in spite of the county's policy of taking a firm line with farmers who fail to clear obstructions.
- The potential impact of the latter species on oilseed rape was recently reported in France, where this crop is heavily damaged by O. ramosa.
- Three East Yorkshire fields where genetically modified oilseed rape has been growing have been contaminated with illegal antibiotic genes, it emerged today.
- Environment Secretary Margaret Beckett approved cultivation of the herbicide-tolerant maize but rejected commercial cultivation of GM beet and oilseed rape.
- ‘We've got peas and oilseed rape, too,’ he said.
- Its research has found that approximately 2.5 million acres of crops like wheat, oilseed rape and sugar beet currently produced for food could instead be grown for alternative uses such as ‘bio-fuels’.
- Farmers who have turned vast swathes of East Yorkshire into a ‘sea of yellow crops’ with oilseed rape are clogging the county with volatile chemicals that are causing widespread hay fever symptoms, scientists say.
- There has been mounting concern following evidence that oilseed rape grown as part of GM crop trials in Scotland may accidentally have entered the food chain.
- The hedgerows are in bloom, too, and, on the way to Minehead, there are several fields filled with oilseed rape, an early crop, flowering into lemon yellow already.
- Now the main income is generated by a simplified system of wheat, barley, oilseed rape and sugar beet.
- They were back in the country, surrounded by fields of bright yellow oilseed rape.
- People should not have to attempt to push their way through knee-high wheat or oilseed rape.
- Every British motorist will soon be driving on petrol made from sugar beet and diesel made from oilseed rape as part of the Government's fight against climate change.
- It studies the effects of growing modified maize, potatoes and oilseed rape commercially on farms.
- Biofuels can be made from oilseed rape, beet, recovered vegetable oil and tallow, and incorporated in diesel and petrol.
1(grape pulp)orujo masculinebagazo de uva masculine
English has borrowed many of the following foreign expressions of parting, so you’ve probably encountered some of these ways to say goodbye in other languages.
Many words formed by the addition of the suffix –ster are now obsolete - which ones are due a resurgence?
As their breed names often attest, dogs are a truly international bunch. Let’s take a look at 12 different dog breed names and their backstories.