In English, many things are named after a particular country – but have you ever wondered what those things are called in those countries?
1descender en rappel
- Amy, Matt, and Tom each completed their rappel and two climbs.
- During the course troops are trained in advanced communications, Morse code, adjusting both naval gunfire and artillery, forward air control techniques, and helicopter operations, including helicopter rappels.
- Canyoneering starts with a mountain hike followed by a rappel alongside breathtaking waterfalls that drop anywhere from 12 to 120 feet.
- The really strange thing is that on the way up I had collected the gear that Iron Mike and I had placed for our rappels back in 1993!
- If we are descending the Grand Teton and I am setting the anchor for the 120-foot rappel into the Upper Saddle, I have an obligation to form such beliefs as this anchor point is solid only after careful scrutiny and testing.
- With suspended walkways and observation platforms high in the treetops, and rappels down some of the biggest, tallest trees in the world, the views are breathtaking.
- This classic objective adds multipitch rock climbing and a thrilling 150-foot rappel to your bag of tricks.
- Ed managed to get in an anchor, and was able to arrange a rappel back to the ground.
- Rick and Derek rapped down to the ledge, pulled the ropes, set up the next rappel, and started down again.
- Here the group assesses the rappel down the waterfall.
- It was a nice rappel, the redirect caused no problems going down, and there was only light spray near bottom thanks to the redirect and low water levels.
- Every rappel, every belay, was made off just one anchor.
- Far off to one side of the great cliff, we were arranging the short rappels back to the ground via the standard East Ledges descent route.
- We started down and did two rappels in the Stettner Couloir.
- We'll rope up as needed for belayed climbing and rappels.
- With a nod from an instructor, I began the rappel down the ground floor 210 feet below.
- Team Fred had just finished the rappel at Bridal Veil Falls.
- Despite losing her shoe, Katie Long, 11, rappels down a vertical 50-foot wall.
- Then I set up my rappel and checked everything again.
- Archie describes the rappel itself as ‘fabulous from beginning to end,’ but he admits to some healthy trepidation.
English has borrowed many of the following foreign expressions of parting, so you’ve probably encountered some of these ways to say goodbye in other languages.
Many words formed by the addition of the suffix –ster are now obsolete - which ones are due a resurgence?
As their breed names often attest, dogs are a truly international bunch. Let’s take a look at 12 different dog breed names and their backstories.