In English, many things are named after a particular country – but have you ever wondered what those things are called in those countries?
- Music itself had acquired the potential to quicken the pace of an eventual rapprochement between the West and its colonies.
- Also, they all supported the implementation of capitalist reforms and rapprochement with the West.
- During his term of office, Khatami has repeatedly sought a rapprochement with the US, to a large extent unsuccessfully.
- Even before the EU summit, Paris, Berlin and Moscow had been scrambling to effect a rapprochement with Washington.
- Hopefully this series can be the beginning of a fresh rapprochement between the two countries.
- In fact the rapprochement of the two parties has less to do with the SPD moving to the left, and much more with the shift to the right by the PDS.
- Recently, however, there has been something of a rapprochement.
- Hopes of cementing the recent rapprochement between Nato allies, Greece and Turkey, have been set back.
- This tactic could eventually lead to a rapprochement between the two long-time enemies.
- A rapprochement between business and activists has never been more vital, but a deep cynicism persists in both camps.
- In 1518 they switched policy to a rapprochement with Francis and the treaty of London followed.
- At this time Germany and Russia were the black sheep of the European community, so a rapprochement between them seemed only natural.
- In fact it is hardly likely to materialise at all as we are told any rapprochement with the social democrats depends on us turning our backs on radicalism.
- A rapprochement is essential if developing nations are to benefit from the experience of Western water and sanitation experts.
- The presence of a pair of panda bears in Washington was taken as a sign of a new rapprochement between the two countries.
- And South Korean President Kim Dae Jung was awarded the Nobel Peace Prize for bringing about the rapprochement.
- A rapprochement with Libya had to take place on US terms, however.
- Are there any concerns in Vietnam about the rapprochement with the United States?
- And the rapprochement between China and South Korea has helped temper Cold War tensions in Northeast Asia.
- But the recent rapprochement between the EU and Libya signalled that an end to the embargo was imminent.
English has borrowed many of the following foreign expressions of parting, so you’ve probably encountered some of these ways to say goodbye in other languages.
Many words formed by the addition of the suffix –ster are now obsolete - which ones are due a resurgence?
As their breed names often attest, dogs are a truly international bunch. Let’s take a look at 12 different dog breed names and their backstories.