In English, many things are named after a particular country – but have you ever wondered what those things are called in those countries?
- If you're preparing Welsh rarebit, for example, use a strong-tasting, mature cheese rather than a mild variety.
- Here, they are matched with a smoked haddock rarebit for an ultra-tasty dish.
- Make sure you try the smoked haddock rarebit with creamed leeks and smoked bacon.
- Unfortunately, there are thousands of recipes for rarebit.
- Meanwhile, to make the rarebit, very gently melt the cheese with the milk and stout in a heavy-based pan.
English has borrowed many of the following foreign expressions of parting, so you’ve probably encountered some of these ways to say goodbye in other languages.
Many words formed by the addition of the suffix –ster are now obsolete - which ones are due a resurgence?
As their breed names often attest, dogs are a truly international bunch. Let’s take a look at 12 different dog breed names and their backstories.