In English, many things are named after a particular country – but have you ever wondered what those things are called in those countries?
- I live on a complete rat run between the High Road and Acton Lane.
- He said: ‘The road is a recognised rat run for heavy lorries and this is unacceptable.’
- Sapling Road really has become a rat run since the bus lanes were introduced on St Helens Road.
- It follows a survey of local residents which centred on extra traffic using the road as a rat run since the opening of the park and ride.
- Residents fed up with drivers using their unmade street as a rat run have joined forces to stop the problem.
- But a rising bollard on this street, preventing a rat run, could be as long as ten years away.
- The bollards and uprights have been left in place to curb the speed of traffic and discourage the use of the road as a rat run.
- Hyndburn Council has been told it may take two years to pedestrianise a town centre road used as a rat run.
- It was supposed to improve traffic flow so drivers don't use the surrounding roads as a rat run to try to save time.
- How long before the gates are removed and it becomes a rat run from London Road?
- Some residents have labelled the road a rat run.
- Over the years, many people have used this village as a rat run and have sped through it.
- A resident today called for traffic calming measures on a Bradford road which he claims is being used as a rat run to avoid a major city roundabout.
- Householders in Moss Lane, Oswaldtwistle, had tried for years to stop traffic using the road as a rat run to the M65 motorway.
- I think it's about time the traffic police had a word with these people who blatantly admit to using this road as a rat run and ask them to stop.
- Residents claim a traffic order banning vehicles from using their village estate roads as a rat run is not working.
- ‘Every little street will be a rat run to get people into Bradford,’ she said.
- Frustrated residents are hoping to put the brakes on motorists treating their road as a rat run.
- He said measures had also been introduced in St Saviourgate to ensure that drivers stopped using this road as a rat run.
- And she argued a swingbridge, which would give priority to boats over vehicles, might deter people from using the road as a rat run.
English has borrowed many of the following foreign expressions of parting, so you’ve probably encountered some of these ways to say goodbye in other languages.
Many words formed by the addition of the suffix –ster are now obsolete - which ones are due a resurgence?
As their breed names often attest, dogs are a truly international bunch. Let’s take a look at 12 different dog breed names and their backstories.