In English, many things are named after a particular country – but have you ever wondered what those things are called in those countries?
- Confucian thought is characterized by a spirit of humanism, rationalism, and moralism.
- Democratic culture is far richer and more diverse, Stout argues, than the terms of Rawls's etiolated rationalism can capture.
- Contemporary historians of philosophy challenge this traditional distinction between rationalism and empiricism.
- Despite the advances of rationalism, a belief in the supernatural has stubbornly remained.
- Gandy asserts that surveillance is a system based on rationalism, which is illustrated in various practices at Jones and Smith.
- As different as Locke and Hume's empiricism was from Descartes' rationalism, they had something in common.
- The Danish philosopher Søren Kierkegaard rejected this rationalism, correctly seeing that such thinking leads to loss of all meaning.
- For 2000 years, philosophers had to choose whether they followed Plato and his rationalism, or Aristotle and his empiricism.
- This battle for God was an attempt to fill the void at the heart of a society based on scientific rationalism.
- It must ask, as Kant asked about metaphysics after Hume's critique of rationalism, how is philosophy still possible?
- These women rejected their contemporaries' scientific rationalism and positivism in favour of a profound respect for local knowledges.
- The hidden premiss of rationalism led Spinoza to the conclusion that there is only one substance.
- At the beginning of university, I was influenced by rationalism and humanism.
- This is to extend the ambition of rationalism to practical reason.
- Her description of economic rationalism is primarily based on its enemies' assumptions, not on economic rationalists' actual views.
- Jacobi's version of Pascal's wager was also decisive for another later religious critic of secular rationalism, Søren Kierkegaard.
- Scientific rationalism is grounded on normative principles and expresses a specific hierarchy of values.
- Western philosophy today can he characterized by three things: reductionism, rationalism and a belief in progress.
- The result of these new realizations is that we can now problematize or relativize secular rationalism.
- Even philosophical critics of rationalism pay reason the back-handed compliment of arguing against its pretensions.
English has borrowed many of the following foreign expressions of parting, so you’ve probably encountered some of these ways to say goodbye in other languages.
Many words formed by the addition of the suffix –ster are now obsolete - which ones are due a resurgence?
As their breed names often attest, dogs are a truly international bunch. Let’s take a look at 12 different dog breed names and their backstories.