In English, many things are named after a particular country – but have you ever wondered what those things are called in those countries?
1.1(response)reacción femininereaction to sth
- the rash must be a reaction to the drugs — el sarpullido debe de ser una reacción a los fármacos
- what was her reaction to the news? — ¿cómo reaccionó / cuál fue su reacción frente a / ante la noticia?
- her gut reaction was to pull out — su reacción instintiva fue echarse atrás
- after yesterday's rise in interest rates, there was a sharp reaction on Wall Street — la subida de los tipos de interés de ayer provocó una fuerte sacudida en Wall Street
- before noun reaction time — tiempo de reacción
- We need to stop worrying about what others think of us and make pictures that elicit a gut reaction.
- Fifth, anger can be an immediate reaction to an isolated event or it can be a response after numerous events.
- He said he has been surprised by the positive reaction from the public.
- We are appreciative of the Australian government's reaction to the situation.
- The violence of Violet's reaction had not surprised her, indeed, she was rather pleased by it.
- Yet the fear of this technical underworld has provoked a knee-jerk reaction.
- However, people have very different mental responses to the body's natural reaction to a stressful situation.
- And with little change in Fed thinking, the financial markets' reaction was muted.
- I accept full responsibility for my reaction to a bad situation.
- Are you surprised by the reaction of your fans?
- The mention of Thomas provoked an immediate reaction from Becky as the Shopkeeper knew it would.
- Negative emotional reactions are often caused by stress.
- And for an immediate reaction to today's events I think we can speak to Tom Hilton.
- Describing her mother's reaction to the news, Harrold said she was unable to face even her closest friends.
- The market's reaction was swift and brutal.
- The only people who usually benefit from a knee-jerk emotional reaction to a security event are the vendors.
- We also observe a positive market reaction to the announcements of relocations involving corporate headquarters and plants.
- He acknowledged that he had an immediate gut reaction to government requests for the media to withhold information.
- Of course, that explained Mother's reaction to the news and her respectfully mournful look.
- We test whether the market's reaction to such announcements differs among different types of units relocated.
1.2Chemistryreacción femininechemical/nuclear reaction — reacción química/nuclear
- Acid reactions are also used in organic synthesis reactions for making polymers, vitamin supplements, and other everyday consumer products.
- There are many important industrial processes that use electrophilic reactions.
- Furthermore, the compound nuclei produced in cold-fusion reactions contain a relatively small number of neutrons.
- Cold fusion is the term proposed to describe controlled nuclear fusion reactions occurring at or near room temperature.
- Exothermic reactions involve the production of energy which is given to the surrounding environment as heat.
- They're produced during nuclear fusion, the reaction that lights the sun and other stars.
- Alkylation reactions are reactions where an alkyl group is introduced into a molecule.
- Ozone is produced when sunlight triggers chemical reactions involving reactive hydrocarbons and nitrogen oxides.
- It studies the structure of nuclei, and their reactions and interactions.
- By contrast, making Kevlar involves a complex series of organic reactions in hot sulphuric acid at high pressures.
- The rate of a photolysis reaction is a first-order process.
- It is formed from the reaction of nitric oxide with superoxide, and produces carbonyls on proteins.
- Such " ribozymes " are often used to catalyze reactions involving deoxyribonucleic acid or RNA.
- The chemical equations for some reactions may have a lone reactant or a single product.
- Zeolites can soak up liquid or gas molecules and also catalyze chemical reactions.
- More to the point, it has facilitated many reactions that depend upon acetic acid as a reagent or solvent.
- Nucleophilic substitution reactions can be either unimolecular or bimolecular.
- Indeed, electrical currents could lead to a potential drop and to heating and catalysis of undesirable electrochemical reactions.
- Chemists study these organisms because they are able to perform chemical reactions under extreme conditions.
- Equivalents can be used to simplify balancing chemical equations for many reactions.
- Many of these vinyl compounds are made by the reaction of acetylene with electrophiles.
- Three randomly picked clones from each PCR reaction were eventually sequenced.
- Filler metal is obtained from an exothermic reaction between iron oxide and aluminum.
- These materials are based on the polymerization reaction of a diol with a diisocyanate.
- One of the primary methods of qualitative analysis involves precipitation reactions.
2derogatoryPoliticsreacción feminine derogatorythe forces of reaction — las fuerzas reaccionarias / de la reacción derogatory
- To find a social base for its reactionary agenda, big business is invariably forced to cultivate political reaction and cultural backwardness.
- He was to become a bookseller and publisher as well as the owner and editor of the Political Register, in which he launched shattering onslaughts against the forces of reaction.
- I think Jack makes a very good point - the forces of extreme reaction are anti-intellectual, but also radical, even if they don't realise it.
- American politics has assumed the form of a sweeping social reaction, aimed at overturning the reformist legacy of the New Deal.
- The forces of reaction in Europe rallied against what they took to be the International and all its works.
- The mood of the broad masses is quite at odds with the creed of avarice and social reaction that animates the incoming government.
- The latter had pledged to sweep all traces of Zionism, imperialism and the forces of reaction in the Arab world.
- When you talk about working in a rights mode there is always the element of reaction and pressure.
- The White House agenda of militarism and social reaction is not some accident, nor is it merely the whim of certain right-wing individuals.
- There is no shortcut in the struggle against imperialist war and social reaction.
- In periods of political reaction, innumerable forms of social backwardness, ignorance and stupidity come into their own.
- This process of social and political reaction cannot be adequately explained as the result of the evil intentions of one or another president.
- Such a position ignores the real roots of militarism, war and social reaction - the crisis of American and world capitalism.
- It is bound up entirely with the underlying program of militarism abroad and social reaction at home.
- Ngugi was a professor of English literature at the University of Nairobi until the forces of reaction forced him to flee from Kenya in 1982.
- Today, the Labour Party is a bastion of political reaction.
- It was the forces of reaction which were most prominent and most successful in the 1960s.
- The Catholic church may well be a force for intolerance and reaction.
- It is no coincidence that this development has occurred during a period of deepening social and political reaction.
- The fight against war and social reaction requires a socialist perspective.
English has borrowed many of the following foreign expressions of parting, so you’ve probably encountered some of these ways to say goodbye in other languages.
Many words formed by the addition of the suffix –ster are now obsolete - which ones are due a resurgence?
As their breed names often attest, dogs are a truly international bunch. Let’s take a look at 12 different dog breed names and their backstories.