In English, many things are named after a particular country – but have you ever wondered what those things are called in those countries?
- In Trotsky's view this was a reactionary Utopia.
- Chauvinist elements must not be permitted to channel the growing opposition to the social order in a reactionary direction.
- To make matters even worse, a Democratic president, Buchanan, gave his political support to these reactionary efforts.
- All these policies are simply different sides of the same reactionary agenda.
- Inside Haiti, the opposition has turned to the most reactionary elements.
- Social tensions are so pronounced that even the reactionary clerics speak of reform.
- The Times played a critical role in legitimizing this deeply reactionary campaign.
- By this point we have the perfect marriage of reactionary politics with suitably bad art.
- The fact that no one has claimed responsibility only underscores the profoundly reactionary character of these attacks.
- He considered peasants a reactionary force and peasant societies a drag on historical progress.
- In 1932 the SPD supported a vote for the deeply reactionary Hindenburg as German president.
- All in all, the five constituted a well-connected and thoroughly reactionary group.
- All political debate is funneled through two bourgeois and essentially reactionary parties.
- It is a highly political ruling with reactionary consequences for both asylum-seekers and democratic rights as a whole.
- Can they proceed without grasping how the great mass upsurge of 1979 brought to power a thoroughly reactionary regime?
- The first is that the Democratic Party is constitutionally incapable of opposing the profoundly reactionary policies of the Republican right.
- In a professional army, the extent of deeply reactionary political sentiment is far greater.
- But in addition to being erratic, Lewis has a particularly reactionary political agenda.
- We have a reactionary police force and they respond to the complaints of residents.
1reaccionario masculine derogatoryreaccionaria feminine derogatory
English has borrowed many of the following foreign expressions of parting, so you’ve probably encountered some of these ways to say goodbye in other languages.
Many words formed by the addition of the suffix –ster are now obsolete - which ones are due a resurgence?
As their breed names often attest, dogs are a truly international bunch. Let’s take a look at 12 different dog breed names and their backstories.