In English, many things are named after a particular country – but have you ever wondered what those things are called in those countries?
1.1(material)I like light reading — me gusta leer cosas fáciles y amenas
- this book makes good/interesting reading — este libro es muy ameno/interesante
- it's easy reading — es fácil de leer
1.2(study)lectura femininea person of wide reading — una persona de amplia cultura / muy leída
- from my reading, I developed an interest in India — a través de mis lecturas empecé a interesarme por la India
- The teens were hampered by poor reading and research skills and were more prone to leave a site after encountering difficulties.
- His reading and writing skills have also dramatically changed.
- Something else Seamus discovered was the lack of basic reading and writing skills among the prison population.
- The test covers the skills of reading, writing, listening and speaking.
- The perception of irony reveals the gap between narrative memory and linear reading.
- And reading is a skill just like playing tennis, or playing rugby or playing the piano.
- As an academic I would argue that reading is one of the most basic skills needed to achieve academically.
- He has courageously promised to drive up student test scores in core skills such as reading and math.
- More than just reading skills are impaired, you can count on it.
- This necessitates somewhat cursory reading at times and I don't catch everything.
- Like many of their colleagues, they say the centre has greatly improved their reading and writing skills.
- The acquisition of reading and writing skills was a socially selective process.
- A child with a learning disability may have goals in the areas of improving reading and math skills.
- This will be followed rapidly by early reading and counting skills.
- It seems that the brain takes sides in promoting the skills necessary for proficient reading.
- And did you find that your reading and writing skills improved once you came here?
- Paired reading can improve language skills as well as help motivate students to read on their own.
- A country of ten-year-olds should concentrate on their reading and comprehension skills.
- Tutored children were assessed on several measures of basic reading and spelling skills.
- One in ten pupils are leaving school in the Blackburn and Darwen area without basic reading and writing skills.
2.1(activity, skill)lectura feminine(glasses) para leer(glasses) de lecturaJohnny's reading is coming along nicely — Johnny lee cada vez mejor
- they gathered for the reading of the will — se reunieron para dar lectura al testamento
- she has a reading age of 10 — lee al nivel de un niño de 10 años
- reading group — grupo de lectura
- reading lamp — lámpara portátil
- reading light — luz de lectura
- the reading public — el público lector
- The bottom figure, the diastolic reading, is the pressure when your heart is filling (diastole).
- The data to be traded includes numerical instrument readings, high-resolution x-rays, and audio/video discussions.
- Distances still refer to yards or miles, weights are in pounds and ounces, and temperature readings are in Fahrenheit.
- The readings we measure therefore reflect upper torso movement.
- This appears to be the message from the first opinion poll readings since hostilities broke out.
- To reduce measurement error, this instrument takes three readings and computes an average.
- Fig. 11 indicated that the clip gauge transducer produced a linear relationship between the diameter change and the strain meter readings.
- The variant readings have been reduced to seven, each of which is regarded as equally valid.
- Knob positions and meter readings are easily seen from a distance.
- It had been a year, and the meters were giving normal readings across the board for air quality and temperature.
- If there is a large discrepancy between the water meter readings and the amount of water shown on the bill, a specialist is sent to investigate the problem.
- It is evident from different reports that many of the meters are giving erratic readings.
- We will also be offering to provide quarterly meter readings.
- There will still be a 10-15 per cent variation between readings on meters and lab values.
- Whichever type of thermometer you choose, be sure you know how to use it correctly to get an accurate reading.
- Lavelle gave a blood sample at the scene which gave a reading of 188.The legal limit is 80.
- You are told to beware of persons coming to your house under the pretext of selling or repairing things, conducting meter readings, etc.
- He appeared to be drunk and a breath test gave a reading of 125 micrograms of alcohol in 100 millilitres of breath.
- The instant new information is entered, the appropriate dashboard readings are updated companywide.
- Even frequent meter readings provided information about energy use after the fact, not allowing actions to be taken to reduce energy use or energy demand.
2.2(event)poetry reading — recital de poesía masculine
- Each service includes short scripture readings, petitions regarding mourning, suggestions for reflection, and room for journaling.
- Over the next hour or so, speeches and waiata, a reading and another prayer revisit the same themes.
- This week's scripture readings clearly chart the Epiphany theme, that of Jesus drawing all of humanity into a living relationship with God.
- This story never appears in our church's assigned cycle of Sunday readings.
- There the famous chants are sung, interspersed with Scripture readings and periods of silence.
- In addition to the seven devotions, the CD has Scripture readings, prayers, hymns and church information.
- Fr. Walsh also spoke of the high regard in which she was held within the family circle and this was clearly reflected in the readings at Mass by her young relatives.
- This makes the course particularly appropriate for people who do the Scripture readings in their local church.
- Both will respond to activities such as poetry read aloud, choral readings with repetitious phrasing, and intentional changes of voice.
- After the Gospel is read, the priest delivers a homily based on the Scripture readings.
- This year's service was without a sermon, but the prayers and scripture readings provided all the spiritual inspiration required.
- I have often read these words from my book at public readings, but now I am no longer the author reading them.
- There was seven weeks of Scripture readings and the children showed a genuine interest and appreciation towards the course.
- Ken and Mary recited the readings from scripture with real feeling.
- The combined choirs will sing the traditional carols of the Christmas season and in addition there will be readings from Sacred Scripture.
- After breakfast, there are readings of scripture and meditation and after that each embarks on the chore which he has been given responsibility for.
- In this short reading, Dempster read five of his poems from his recent book.
- Today, I need to put aside the Scripture readings appointed for today.
- There are many ways, but today let's focus on two, both of which are related to the Scripture readings we will hear at Mass.
- Services could include requested pieces of music, readings or poetry, and range from being simple, quiet affairs to New Orleans-style funerals complete with jazz band.
3(on dial, gauge)lectura femininethe other thermometer gave a higher reading — el otro termómetro marcaba una temperatura / daba una lectura más alta
- to take a reading of sth — ver cuánto marca algo
4Politicspresentación femininethe bill has its second reading tomorrow — mañana se debatirá por segunda vez el proyecto de ley
- By 316 votes to 311, the government's education bill passed its second reading in parliament.
- All the ministers, as well as the Financial Secretary, spoke in supporting the need for the bill, which received its three readings and finally passed unopposed.
- This bill still awaits the final reading and approval by Parliament.
- Rather than go through lengthy readings and committee stages, the laws would be a voted on in both houses of parliament after a 90-minute debate.
- Come the final readings of these bills, the Government flip-flops.
- I have not spoken during the previous readings of the bill, because I wanted to hear all sides and to come to a considered decision.
- It is with pleasure that I stand in the House to speak to the final reading of this bill.
- Indeed, only a provision of the rules which interprets an abstention as a vote in favour in the event of a tie saw the bill past its final reading.
- The bylaw passed three readings and needs final adoption by council in likely a couple of weeks before becoming enforceable.
- Parliament approved their final reading on April 3 after much controversy.
- Once that has been done, council can choose to add the smoke-free question to the fall election ballot instead of passing the bylaw on final readings.
- It must pass two more readings in coming weeks before it is final.
- I am happy to be here to support the third reading of this bill.
- Mr Robson's bill passed its first reading in Parliament 78 votes to 41.
- If MPs approve the bill at its third and final reading in Parliament next week it will be passed for Royal Assent and become law.
- On Friday, the Hong Kong Bar Association said it deplores any decision to resume the final readings of the bill next Wednesday.
- He said he expects the Bill to have a bumpy ride as it goes through further readings and committee stages.
- The Green Party supports this bill and will do so through to the final reading.
- Heavyweight hitters went down swinging against federal Bill C - 2, which had its final readings in the Senate this week.
- Tung's sudden change of position came after the business-oriented Liberal Party refused to back the bill's final readings at the legislature Wednesday.
5(interpretation)lectura feminineinterpretación femininewhat's your reading of the situation? — ¿cómo interpreta / cómo ve usted la situación?
- How your own perceptions color your reading of those comments may be another story.
- It won't be a perfect fit, any more than modern feminist readings of the Bible are a perfect fit, but it will do for the time being.
- This is a pure absurdity, as any fair reading of the pages we have devoted to such matters can demonstrate.
- In Nina's case, however, a literal reading would have given any security man grounds for anxiety.
- So this will hopefully prepare for a more sympathetic reading of the translated article below.
- McLeish believes it is the combination of strength, skill and also his reading of the game which makes him so difficult to play against.
- That view is a tendentious reading of the legal materials, as a quick glance at Article I reveals.
- Some people sneer at a metaphorical reading of scripture and Tolkien himself was opposed to allegory as a rhetorical form.
- A close reading of the document suggests, however, that the threat has been exaggerated.
- Also, a naive reading would imagine that this knowledge on the fringe is the easiest to change.
- I do not wish to suggest that our reading of these narratives can be closed or definitive.
- The article gives an intriguing and powerfully written reading of the ironic positioning of such films.
- Perhaps readers will disagree with the Professor's comparative reading.
- He isn't as fast as Cole, but has tremendous skill and reading of the game.
- However, I also think that a careful reading of the document shows the bishops were not saying this.
- It also means that everyone's experience of the book will be different - the order in which the stories are read will change readings of the book as a whole significantly.
- That's an utterly inaccurate reading of the great documents of the founding of this nation.
- An honest reading of the document shows that the Vatican is simply banning gays.
- A more literal reading relates us directly to the pattern of the cosmos, with its insistence on the separation of categories.
- On an absolutely literal reading, your Lordships' liberty to apply does not apply to past expenses if there are future expenses.
English has borrowed many of the following foreign expressions of parting, so you’ve probably encountered some of these ways to say goodbye in other languages.
Many words formed by the addition of the suffix –ster are now obsolete - which ones are due a resurgence?
As their breed names often attest, dogs are a truly international bunch. Let’s take a look at 12 different dog breed names and their backstories.