In English, many things are named after a particular country – but have you ever wondered what those things are called in those countries?
1(suit) de confección(soup/sauce) preparado(soup/sauce) precocinadoyou can buy ready-made curtains — puedes comprar cortinas ya hechas / confeccionadas
- he acquired a ready-made family — se hizo de una familia ya formada
- there are no ready-made solutions — no hay soluciones fáciles
- there you have a ready-made excuse — ahí tienes la excusa, no te la tienes que inventar
- Ward against listeriosis by avoiding blue-veined, mould-ripened cheeses, pâtés, ready-made salads and soft-whip ice creams until the birth.
- We ordered ours ready-made from a storage supplies catalog, but you could cover plain ones purchased from a crafts store.
- We manufacture the most complete line of standard ready-made mats and custom-cut bulk mats.
- While the availability of woven textiles increased ready-made cotton or flannel shirts and drawers for urban consumers, hand knitting of socks and stockings continued to be the norm in rural areas.
- Patterns are available for women who wish to sew their own, and there are also ready-made ones available, though they are not widely distributed.
- What I wanted was a ready-made snack food that tasted like French fries… and obviously, the package before me proved that this was still and perhaps forever beyond the reach of Science.
- The store also has a small retail component with ready-made frames, prints and beveled mirrors.
- On some occasions, she said, ‘we not only have to give food to those affected by the virus, but we cook for them and deliver ready-made food.’
- Also, order a good supply of ready-made frames and small gift items to accommodate last-minute and impulse gift purchases, advised these framers.
- For this cost we could have just got a standard ready-made home where our neighbours would be just five metres away.
- You can buy this ready-made and frozen, and just fry it.
- Women could even order them ready-made from the company catalogue.
- The main meal is now eaten in the evening and is likely to consist of frozen or ready-made food.
- In the twentieth century, although traditional made-to-measure tailoring persisted everywhere at higher social levels, the ready-made suit became the standard public costume of the modern ordinary man.
- Choosing their own fabric rather than buying a ready-made drapery also enables homeowners to make coordinating cushions or to cover a chair with the same material.
- This company manufactures ready-made garments under several international brands.
- She's created a portable design center for her ready-made mats, pre-made wood frames and patented deep-beveled faux fillet middles.
- For the same reason we purchase any other ready-made food, says Goudie - convenience.
- You're always guaranteed a perfect fit and more often than not, you'll get superior fabric rather than that of a similarly priced, ready-made overcoat.
- For the weight of taking ready-made food, oxygen and water to survive a 1,000 day mission by a six person crew will be 30 tons, which rises to 120 tons when water for washing is added.
- Every year, thousands of tonnes of perishable goods, from cellophane-wrapped chickens to cardboard-encased ready-made pizzas, end up in the bin.
- It is to do with thinking about diet and planning money instead of buying ready-made food such as pies and chips.
- Stock your pantry and freezer with soups, meatless burgers, and ready-made pizzas for quick meals.
- And if you were wondering whether there is something better about ready-made pastry to justify its higher price point over frozen, the answer is no.
- The preference had been for a ready-made building rather than a green-field site that could have set the operation back a number of years.
- At least 75 per cent of our salt is found in processed foods such as ready-made meals, some breads and breakfast cereals, meat pies, soups, sauces, and cheese.
- Manufacturers offer ready-made mantels in a variety of sizes as well as custom-size units.
- It was like they were placing an order for a ready-made product.
- Nowadays there are several ready-made custards available that you could use.
- Wrought iron and upholstered furniture, made-to-measure and ready-made curtains and a wide range of fabrics are all found in the company's new brochure.
- I am proud of my first attempt at real Italian cooking for the simple reason that it did not involve opening jars of ready-made sauce and popping garlic bread in the oven.
- The surprise is that it's so easy to make: You start with an unfinished bookcase - whatever size suits your purpose - and acid a pair of ready-made louvered shutters.
- It's cheaper than buying ready-made jars, can be made in bulk and frozen and you know exactly what the ingredients are.
- Some of the premium ranges were lower in fat and salt than the standard versions, proving that manufacturers can produce tasty ready-made food with less salt and fat.
- Despite the uncertainties of the crisis, last year was also the time that Mrs Bell branched out into preparing ready-made meals, a venture which she modestly confesses proved a ‘popular success’.
- The ready-made curtains that could adorn the walls of living rooms are an added attraction.
- In fact, I feel strongly that if ready-made cocktails are not going to stick to the classic formula they should choose another name.
- Make sure all ready-made foods are piping hot throughout before eating, as they are also a listeria risk.
- The hospital - one of the leading cancer treatment centres in the country - was supplied with two types of ready-made meals for a reception vending machine, which have now had to be withdrawn.
- His mother has no alternative, but stitch his clothes as ready-made clothes are not available.
English has borrowed many of the following foreign expressions of parting, so you’ve probably encountered some of these ways to say goodbye in other languages.
Many words formed by the addition of the suffix –ster are now obsolete - which ones are due a resurgence?
As their breed names often attest, dogs are a truly international bunch. Let’s take a look at 12 different dog breed names and their backstories.