In English, many things are named after a particular country – but have you ever wondered what those things are called in those countries?
- The latter term would be reserved for actions relating to the armed forces and the defence of the realm.
- Because such a warranty belongs in the realm of the law of contract not tort.
- The only avenue for a Norman legal order, common to the realm, was through a loyal judiciary.
- The defence of the realm, which is the Crown's first duty, is the paradigm of so grave a matter.
- Along it, empires, kingdoms, and colonial realms have been plunged into war and bloodshed.
2(sphere)that's outside / beyond the realms of possibility — es totalmente imposible
- it belongs to the realm of metaphysics — pertenece al campo / terreno de la metafísica
- The matter was however even to him, well within the realms of abstruse cyclone theory.
- I know that that will not occur; it is beyond the realms of possibility.
- The use of torture to elicit information is not beyond the realm of possibility.
- It's once you leave the conceptual realm and enter the realm of execution that things get messy.
- Is this beyond the realms of possibility given the government's action in the last few weeks?
- An upset today is hardly beyond the realms of possibility.
- Behind the scenes negotiations mean there is no move that is beyond the realms of possibility.
- As yet there is no release date, and while having the first showing in Skipton is not beyond the realms of possibility, it remains a hope.
- But for the first time for ages it didn't seem beyond the realms of possibility.
- We have truly entered the realms of the bizarre.
- We will come to that in the later arguments but this is all in the realm of the unwritten law.
- Yes councillor, it is not beyond the realms of possibility for councillors, highways, and bus company management to sort out some solution.
- Miriam thought it was unlikely to be sold as a residential property but it was not beyond the realms of possibility.
- One might then be closer to the realm of saying that one is interfering with the procedures that apply.
- Therefore, do not consider even bothering to try asking for any help as it is completely beyond the realms of possibility that you will be able to find a helpful face in the entire store.
- It was not beyond the realms of possibility that New Zealand could have beaten Australia and qualified for Athens.
- So, we are talking at this stage entirely in the realms of the hypothetical?
- This does postulate quite a large realm of immunity to the doctors and the social workers.
- To use them to catch foxes is something that is certainly not beyond the realms of possibility,’ he said.
- In fact, we are now in the realm of complex payment, where payment is in a foreign currency and there is a string of banks.
English has borrowed many of the following foreign expressions of parting, so you’ve probably encountered some of these ways to say goodbye in other languages.
Many words formed by the addition of the suffix –ster are now obsolete - which ones are due a resurgence?
As their breed names often attest, dogs are a truly international bunch. Let’s take a look at 12 different dog breed names and their backstories.